Samsung 530u SSD failure

gruibal

Estimable
Apr 10, 2015
My Samsung 530u laptop suddenly restarted a few times; and finally it wasn't able to boot. I had Ubuntu installed, and reinstalled Ubuntu on the HDD, to continue using it.

I'm not sure what's the problem with the SSD; I can read the files, but not write, apparently.

I'm not being able to secure erase it, because I can't "unfreeze" the SSD.

Any ideas on how to fix the drive? (I'm not worried about deleting the data.)

Solution
In these situations, I find it best to physically remove the SSD from the laptop. I would then mount it externally via an external adapter (SATA to USB with separate power), or as an alternate to put it in a working desktop as a secondary drive. Than, I would try to format the drive via a Full Format which does the entire drive (as opposed to the Quick Format).

If the Full Format goes through, than you can remount the drive in the laptop, and reload an OS on it.

If the drive cannot be formatted, than it is definitely a dead drive, and then it will need to be replaced either via replacement, or RMA if it is within the warranty.

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
In these situations, I find it best to physically remove the SSD from the laptop. I would then mount it externally via an external adapter (SATA to USB with separate power), or as an alternate to put it in a working desktop as a secondary drive. Than, I would try to format the drive via a Full Format which does the entire drive (as opposed to the Quick Format).

If the Full Format goes through, than you can remount the drive in the laptop, and reload an OS on it.

If the drive cannot be formatted, than it is definitely a dead drive, and then it will need to be replaced either via replacement, or RMA if it is within the warranty.

Solution