Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

I just purchased the Samsung 850 EVO SSD. I followed the pictorial and hooked the SSD to the USB using a new SATA to USB cable. I inserted the CD and waited for it to load. When the software loaded, it did not show the SSD? It only shows the C: drive and the optical drive. I tried to run the software but it will not recognize the SSD. I tried all the USB ports and all the same. The led for power is lighted on the SSD side of the cable showing it has power but nothing is happening. Nothing I have tried will make the SSD show up. I have an Acer Aspire 4743g i5 8gb mem. Please HELP!
Thanks, John

terenz

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
You click on the drive (should be Drive 1 (drive 0 is the main onboard drive) in the bottom right window and right click on the drive to partition and format.

As someone who used to tinker with PCs when HDs were 10 MB and RAM chips were chips (64Kb was state-of-the-art in 1984) and my first CPU was an 8088, I get confused when I got away from hardware for a while.

There are at least two type of SATA hard drive interfaces. The ones for desktops have a separate power and data cable. Both have L-shaped connectors (about 1.1 & 2.5 cm wide) but inversed and of different lengths so you cannot mix them up. The ones for laptops have them joined together and you will see two separate banks of L shaped connectors in long wide connector.

Pils

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015
I have the same porblem on Windows 10. It loads on the sata USB converter as a Generic USB device and I cannot read it at all. Tried two different computers. On out Windows 7 machine, it loads as the same device; however, I can see teh files OK and Samsung Data Migration works to a point. Me thinks that the Windows 10 drivers do not exist for teh 850 EVO SSD. I am at a loss on what to do next.

dheming37

Estimable
Aug 16, 2015

Same issue on Windows 10. Data Migration is not recognizing the SSD drive. I was able to upgrade fine on 4 PCs with Windows 7 and 8.

bdubil

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015
I'm having a similar issue. Win 7 recognized SSD no problem, Ran Samsung data migration with no problems. Had to go back to HDD drive to upgrade to Win 10, now Win 10 does not recognize the SSD drive. Have Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, nether one is showing up in "my computer" so I can mirror over the data in Samsung data migration. Drive shows in disk manager.

Using StarTech.com USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP - SATA to USB 3.0 Converter for SSD/HDD for data transfer.

Travis_1

Estimable
Aug 20, 2015
I'm coming across the same issue as everyone else. I first got a evo 850 256gb SSD to replace a drive on an old laptop running windows 7 and it worked like a charm. In fact it worked so well that I went out and got the 500gb for my workhorse laptop (i7 processor 4th gen, 16GB ram DDR3, 1tb HDD, etc). At first I couldn't find anything, and thought it was the enclosure I was using and the driver that came pre-installed with it(which didn't effect anything on the Windows 7 cloning process), so I went out and got a SATA 3 cable connection; went through multiple help forums and discovered the disk management(just keep right and left clicking on the drives/disks and you can figure out how to see various pieces) initialize drive, format drive, create volume... boom, the drive can be discovered by my computer and by Samsung Magician, but still no luck with Data Migration.

Went through hours of trial and error setups, and tried using a 3rd party application, EaseUS(free), cloned the drive and all the data was moved over, booted up with the new drive and.... Checking Media (failed)... from what I gathered I don't have enough partitions set up on my SSD, and need the recovery, boot, main, etc(can't remember them all, I'm at work). So I go back into EaseUS and attempt to clone sector by sector(again following pages of forum help), but the program won't allow me to create partitions.

That being said, after I cloned with EaseUS, I was able to see the Samsung SSD in the data migration application, but like someone else said, I see both my original HDD and the Samsung SSD both labeled as Samsung SSD, and the migration tool won't let me clone from there

Right now, I'm pissed off. My next attempt is to try using Macrium as a few people have said that this would work. Apparently some other reads said that the Samsung Software hasn't been updated for Windows 10(c'mon it's been out almost a month already j/k), and that's why the Migration tool isn't working.

Regardless, if anyone else has an answer, please let me know, because I really want this thing to work after I saw the improvements the small drive gave me on the older laptop. If Macrium works, I'll let you guys know, but at this point, I'm not holding my breath.

--------------------

Update:
Find Macrium Reflect Free, run it, it will work the same way the Data Migration tool will. It allows you to add/copy partitions as needed. My SSD is working now, but I am getting a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION message now when I start my computer from shutdown, after a restart it works just fine, but now I'm looking into that, which appears to be an issue of needing updated drivers. Hoping it's an easy fix, but will let you guys know if it's a constant problem.

Essentially, Macrium worked really well, and it's free

Sam_Y

Estimable
Aug 23, 2015
Thanks Travis for the helpful information.

I have had many of the same issues as described above:

1) SSD not recognised as a drive by Windows 10- fixed by going into disk manager and formatting as described by others above.(I also purchased the Startech USB to SATA cable referred to above to connect my SSD - wish Samsung had just provided such a cable!)

2) Data migration software not recognising SSD in Windows 10: I telephoned Samsung about this and they have categorically stated that their migration software DOES NOT currently support Windows 10. They are working on a software update/solution but apparently this is proving more difficult than they had hoped and may be "some time". When I asked the agent what they recommended, she stated that they were not allowed to officially recommend other migration software, BUT that she knew others had successfully used Macrium Reflect (of which there is a free version that Travis refers to) to clone their HDD to the SSD.

I am currently at the point were I am not sure if I should risk downloading Macrium and using that software to clone my disk, or simply wait for Samsung to update their software so that it is compatible with Windows 10. (Ironically apparently older versions of the Samsung Data Migration software ARE compatible!).

So I would be most grateful for any updates from Travis / others as to how successful Macrium was for them - Travis, did you get past this 'Violation' issue?

UPDATE: Downloaded and used Macrium reflect. Seems to have worked well. Samsung SSD is just so much better/faster. Unbelievable difference in loading windows and then other programs

Adam_6

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015
I'm having the same issue. Would it be less of a pain in the A** to revert back to windows 8.1, clone the drive and then run the windows 10 upgrade on the SSD?

Update: Decided to proceed using the Macrium Reflect software. Took about an hour and everything seems to be running perfect so far.

Update: Everything is still running flawlessly after cloning with Macrium. I didn't get the violation Travis got, and my boot time is non existent.

Sam_Y

Estimable
Aug 23, 2015
Thanks for your updates on Macrium. I will try it this weekend and update my entry on whether it works.

I must apologise that I accidentally clicked the down vote arrow on your reply Adam and not sure how to undo this action. Sorry!

With regards to Samsung - I have emailed them twice and they state that they can give no date for when Samsung data migration will be Windows 10 compatible

Adam_6

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015

This hurts my heart. lol

jagorzynski

Estimable
Sep 22, 2015

I am so grateful to have found this thread as I am having the same problem. I also considered reverting back to Windows 8.1, cloning, then upgrading to windows 10. Would that work?

I have started the Macrium option. I will update my success or failure. Question: after cloning, did you use the Samsung Magician software or the Macrium?

Cheers and thanks!

Oh, and I upvoted your post, so it's back to 0 ;-)

tgaloukas

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015

tgaloukas

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015
i have exactly the same problem within a ssd 850 evo and a dell vostro 3350 with hdd 250 gb i couldn't to do the data migration from hdd to external ssd evo via the usb cable to sata 3 on ssd i do not know what is the incompatibility but thereis exist the dell does not recognise the ssd disk as samsung and so it does not the data migration it recognise a usb drive AStma something like this and this is not manageable
i do not what have i do to works my OS is Windows 10
i tried to 'see' the ssd from a macbook air also but it was not recognisable also and i tried to initialize it but as i read in the info window this disk was 'generic' 'unwritable' and so on ok i have not download any samsung app for the management of 850 evo because theris not exist what do you thing that i s the fault i have used two new of cables and boxes to transform the sata 3 to usb

PhilMcgee

Estimable
Nov 12, 2015
I racked my brains to find a solution to transfer of data from HDD to Samsung SSD 850 Evo. No data migration cable even though the pictorial instructions included one. Having tried all suggestions I still failed. Then I popped into a well known high street PC store. While I was browsing I came acrossthe "Dynamode Enclosure 2.5" External SATA Hard Disk Enclosure, USB - HD2.5S -BN" on offer at £4.99. The enclosure includes SATA connector circuit board aat one end and USB at the other and looked suspiciously like a Data Migration cable. Nothing ventured nothing gained so I invested. I made sure I had the Data Migration software loaded (Disk included in theSamsung 850 package) fitted the sata connector of the Dynamode to the SSD and fitted it in the enclosure (screws & screw driver supplied). Plugged the USB into the PC and clicked on the Data Migration software and hey presto. It took about 30 mins to transfer everything.
The Dynamode is available on Ebay in the USB 2 and USB 3 variant for £5 to £10.
Hope this solves your problem and the procedure is extremely simple.

PhilMcgee

Estimable
Nov 12, 2015
The software is not the problem. It is the confusion caused by the pictorial instructions showing a data migration cable but there is no such cable supplied. My answer was to use the Dynamode as a substitute. One has to get to the motherboard and plug in the SATA cable and supply power to the ssd. Far easier to invest in the Dynamode Enclosure attach the SSD and just plug in to a usb then hit the Data Migration button on the desktop.

tiennhan

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
Hi Anonymous,

I had the same problem with Samsung 850 EVO SSD after checking the specs on Samsung 850 EVO SSD I had found this

Samsung 850 EVO SSD power requirement is 1.4A while USB3 only capabale of supplying max 0.9A. This means that your usb 3 to sata adapter can not supply enough power to run the hard drive. What you need to do is getting a USB 3 to sata adapter that has double USB cable so that it can supply 0.9 x 2 = 1.8A which is more than 1.4A requirement of Samsung 850 EVO. See the attached picture for the Double USB 3 to sata adapter that I used
rc-usbsata_0.jpg
. Another way of doing this is connect your hard drive straight to the motherboard and using sata power cable to supply power for this hard drive.

Regards,

Tien

tcbrianw

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
Ariel_3 is correct! Flawless disc clone which only copied the OS partition on my Windows 10 Laptop to the SSD. The supplied USB cable allows me to access the data partition off the old drive. My Asus G74s has gone from a 5 minute boot up to 30 seconds. Thanks!

Laptopperi7

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Old dated threat, what just worked for me:

1. Windows 10, right click Start icon, click Disk Management.
The highest number disk should be your new SSD disk connected to USB.
If Disk Mgt message says disk needs to be initialized,
If your computer is newer and has EUFI, can use GPT format - newer format.
Else might need to use older MBR format..

2. My USB connection to SSD thru Apricorn disk interface uses A.C. power transformer connection.

3. Now Samsung data migration software sees your new SSD.
The software permits copying up to two drive id's typically drive C: and D:.
It copied system partition and maybe first recovery partition too.