Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

I just purchased the Samsung 850 EVO SSD. I followed the pictorial and hooked the SSD to the USB using a new SATA to USB cable. I inserted the CD and waited for it to load. When the software loaded, it did not show the SSD? It only shows the C: drive and the optical drive. I tried to run the software but it will not recognize the SSD. I tried all the USB ports and all the same. The led for power is lighted on the SSD side of the cable showing it has power but nothing is happening. Nothing I have tried will make the SSD show up. I have an Acer Aspire 4743g i5 8gb mem. Please HELP!
Thanks, John

Jul 26, 2017

Even that's too complicated.

Just use the Samsung Data Migration application.

1. Download the Data Migration program here:
http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/downl...
Let it update. When installing it the first time- it may appear to freeze on you, the green loading bar will be full - it will seem to freeze - give it a few minutes. After this went away, the data migration window actually fully disappeared from my task bar - so I had to turn it back on by going into my start menu.

2. Connect your samsung ssd with a sata to usb 3.0 cable. I used a NextStar TX external hard drive enclosure and it worked fine for me.

3. Follow the steps of the samsung data migration software. Instructions are very simple, click the start button from the first window, and follow the steps.

4. After data migration's complete, shut off your laptop completely - go ahead and physically install the new SSD into your laptop. Note: on my first few start up attempts, Dell support assist came up and said it couldn't read the hard drive. What was wrong was that the little connection cable from the Hard drive I removed from the mother board - wasn't re-connected properly. That little connection needs to have the inside corners of the "t" shape directly touch the outer corners of the female connection part. Also ensure that your connections are clean prior to connecting everything to avoid further issues.

Also, in regards to Amperage - a tech I spoke to said that it doesn't matter that the Samsung EVO SSD runs on 1.4A, and that your connection cable runs at 0.9A - this just means your SSD will operate slower. The issue I had was primarily from the very instruction manual that comes with the Samsung 850 EVO SSD - the pictures tell you to use Magician, like I said before - it's actually a diagnosis tool, which is usefull after successfully migrating data from old to new hard drive, and after physically installing your SSD - **HOWEVER** ONE MUST USE Samsung DATA MIGRATION application IN THE FIRST PLACE. I downloaded Macrium and in my opinion Macrium is more complicated than the Samsung Data Migration application.

I hope this helps new SSD installs post July 2017, when I wrote this post. It appears that the Data Migration app didn't exist in 2015/16 when this thread was written. But this was one of the top search results and IMO all the posts are out-dated now because of the Data Migration app.

berkley413

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
Had the same problem with the 2012 hp laptop not finding the evo 250. The problem does relate to USB power. Had an old HDD enclosure lying around with 2 USB wires that plug into 2 usb slots. Took the evo plugged it into the enclosure and then plugged the 2 USB wires into 2 USB slots on the hp laptop and it found the drive. So if your laptop is older and doesn't have enough power in single usbs, you will need to get a hdd enclosure that has the double USB cords.

TRENDING THREADS