Samsung ES8090

darkar

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I have recently bought an ES8090 40inch TV and there is one problem with it:

The TV has a dimming issue: each time there is a dark scene the TV also dims the white parts - this is most annoying when in the middle of a movie in a dark scene the subtitles also dim. I have checked and it happens in the other Samsung 2012 LED TVs - I have tried playing with all the setting it doesn't help much (Game Mode mitigates the issue a bit) - I have wrote Samsung and they have acknowledged the issue. I have read somewhere that using the Movie picture mode solves this - and this is true, but I can't use it either because the White colors in this mode have a brownish look - if anyone can help me resolve this - maybe by playing with the White Balance or the 10p White Balance settings - I tried but I don't know the right mixture and they turn even stranger.

darkar

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

Which issue haven't you seen - the dimming or the white colors having a brownish look in movie mode - because all exist in Samsung 2012 line of TVs (i have checked many TVs in store)

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I haven't seen the dimming issue. I've heard of the white balance, and i know ther has been one major firmware update for the 7000 series plasmas, but i have no idea if the LCDs have had one. Have you given that a try yet?

darkar

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

I have the latest update and neither of the problems got solved - and since Samsung don't publish changelogs it's hard to find what gets solved.
The dimming issue probably doesn't appear on their plasma TVs so that's why you haven't seen them.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Yeah, it really sounds like you have some software issues, or possibly a board malfunction. i've seen a lot of issues, and ones like you're having are the hardest to pin down. Have you contacted samsung directly? That's probably going to be your best route here.

darkar

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

Yes I have contacted them and they too confirmed the issue with their test TVs but wouldn't guarantee a fix (and I saw the same issue with other Samsung TVs in the store). That's why I want to try and "fix" movie mode which fixes this behavior - and for this I need help to find the settings that will make the whites look white in movie mode and not brownish like I have said in my original post.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Have you tried AVSforum.com? They usually have a lot of custom settings, and tweaks to help with specific models. I'd really suggest trying there. Most of us have a borad knowledge of a lot of topics, but when it comes down to specific model related issues, they are truly the experts.

darkar

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

I am just about to try - But if anyone here has any suggestions they will be most appreciated.