Samsung Galaxt Tab A - Howto Install on SD-card

Solution
Well it is going to depend on which version of Android you are running. If you are running the older installed versions, then no. If you have "Marshmallow" then maybe. I say only maybe because a few manufacturers have decided to restrict this option.

If, you are running Android "Marshmallow" then you will need a blank SD card to start with. Why blank? Because when you set the card to be "Internal" rather than "External" storage, the card will be wiped, formatted and encoded. So anything on it would be gone. For good.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in...
Well it is going to depend on which version of Android you are running. If you are running the older installed versions, then no. If you have "Marshmallow" then maybe. I say only maybe because a few manufacturers have decided to restrict this option.

If, you are running Android "Marshmallow" then you will need a blank SD card to start with. Why blank? Because when you set the card to be "Internal" rather than "External" storage, the card will be wiped, formatted and encoded. So anything on it would be gone. For good.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your tablet.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the tablet, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Solution

Geezer873

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016

Just completed the steps above on my Tab A. w/ Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow)

■ Was transferring a 32 GByte SD Card from my old Galaxy Tab 2.1 (GT-P5113)
    ■ I did not have a "3 Dot Menu"
    ■ Long press on SD card brought up format as portable storage.
    ■ Approx 30 second later: SD Card is set up
    There is no indication that external storage has been expanded. Still showin 16.00 GB internal and SD Card 29.63 GB. Looks like it is still just a SD card

So it did not give you the option to make it internal?

Here is some more info on how it is done, and the differences. https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/109134/p/1449,9582

Now, if you don't the option for making it "internal" storage, then yours has probably been restricted by the manufacturer. I can't help with this. You might, however, want to post in the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" Forum. http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html They may be able to help. Yes, i know it's a forum for phones, but both use Android systems.