Discussion Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360 screens cracking w/o physical impact - product defect

May 27, 2022
I'm posting this to draw attention to a common problem faced by owners of the new (2021+) Samsung Galaxy Book Pro/Pro 2 360 laptops. These 2-in-1 AKA "convertible" laptops have a hard glass (not sure if it's Gorilla Glass) touchscreen surface that has cracked for no apparent reason, for many users who report experiences like "I just opened my laptop, and found a hairline crack across the screen." I experienced this issue firsthand in late January 2022. Like many others who have reported it, I opened my Galaxy Book Pro 360 15" one morning and discovered a barely noticeable hairline crack running horizontally across the top half of the screen glass, on a very gently handled machine that was only about 9 months old! Keep in mind that this is a machine that is expressly designed to be folded completely open so that the screen can be used as a tablet with Samsung's included S-pen. That design requires, and promises, a level of toughness that just wasn't provided. The only conclusion we can reach is that the cracked screen, with no apparent cause, is a manufacturing defect, a design flaw, or both.

I'm not here to bash Samsung. In fact, I have been a happy user of Samsung phones, tablets, TVs and home appliances for years, and have been very impressed with their quality and durability. When Samsung introduced this model, I was ecstatic because it checks all the boxes in my requirements...ultra-thin and lightweight with a top-end CPU and plenty of RAM and SSD storage...enough to easily handle coding, graphic design and database dev. It replaced a nearly-as-good LG Gram 15 that was 3 years old but still kicking, because this Samsung was better in all respects, especially the beautiful OLED display. It's the best laptop workstation I've ever owned.

The fact that it is so clearly top-of-the-heap made this fail so much more crushing, and what made it even worse was Samsung's response, to me and to so many others who have posted about it on Samsung's "community" site, and Reddit, and other online forums. Everyone who has suffered this issue has been told by Samsung that it is "physical damage" not covered by the product warranty. This despite the fact that there was no physical impact or other "misuse", to a machine that is designed to be folded backward and used like a larger version of a Galaxy Tab.

Apparently Samsung recognizes this as a problem, and have tried to silence user discussion: The comment thread on this issue, on their own support website ( https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Computers/Galaxy-Book-Pro-360-screen-cracked-without-any-misuse/td-p/2162867/page/3 ) has been locked so no one can add to it.

If you have experienced this issue with a Galaxy Book Pro 360, please push Samsung to repair it under warranty as they should. With a bit of effort I was able to do so, as documented here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyBook/comments/pvz4r9/_/i8jsl38 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyBook/comments/pvz4r9/galaxy_book_pro360_screen_broke/i8jsl38/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

The key is to make it clear to Samsung support that this is clearly a product/manufacturing defect, and they MUST cover repair under warranty.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Laptop Tech Support 3
R Laptop Tech Support 0
SnoggyTheBear Laptop Tech Support 0
R Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 3
J Laptop Tech Support 3
J Laptop Tech Support 1
F Laptop Tech Support 3
G Laptop Tech Support 3
K Laptop Tech Support 1