Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Updates

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sandi13

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hi I am planning to purchase Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2012 edition. I just want some clarification on whether I will have problems with android updates or is this 'out of date' in terms of updates and apps.

markj29

Estimable
May 1, 2015
I have a samsung galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition, which only received one update to 4.4.2

Samsung has now abandoned this tablet, and it will not be getting 5.0 or 5.1

Never buy samsung if you expect any after sale support. This is my last samsung purchase!

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Apple still supports the iPad 2 from 2011 with the latest iOS 8.3 unlike other companies that stick to a 2 year cycle for their tablets if you are lucky. The Apple iPhone generally have at least a 4 year update cycle. The iPhone 4s from 2011 is still supported with the latest iOS 8.3 just like the iPad 2 and you can get updated as soon as it comes out. Without a Nexus phone, you have to wait till the vendor updates their device and hope it actually comes out.

Yohanes

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
If samsung is serious about selling their products, they should provide better care of their customers. Limited software upgrade is a real downer. Come on Samsung. . . you make good products, take care of your customers!

Stevecu

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015

I'm curious about the source of your information.

I have a 2014 edition and at this point am very sceptical about getting 5.0.

I have to agree with most of the posters here regarding Samsung's brief window of support. These are very capable, very expensive devices and a 5 year life cycle is not unreasonable. Those of you ridiculing 2012 edition owners for expecting continued support are yourselves quite ridiculous.

I have PCs in my house which are 7 or 8 years old and one that might be 10 or more. They run Windows 7 and will run Windows 10 next month and will continue to do so for some time to come.

Samsung declaring a $500 - $700 tablet out of support after just a couple of years is unreasonable. And this conversation leaves me thinking more and more that my next tablet will be from Microsoft, perhaps even my next phone ...

Dennisgg9

Estimable
Jun 30, 2015
Samsung used to be a good company, but dropping support for their very expensive tablets is unacceptable to me and therefore I will not buy ANY Samsung products in the future. I have the Samsung note 10.1 2014 edition with 4.4.2 That's the last update they will have.

pacmusicman

Estimable
Jul 19, 2015
I had reason to have Samsung support remotely troubleshoot a problem with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2012) last year. While the tech was working, I asked him about future OS upgrades for this particular model.

Apparently 4.1.2 is the end of the line.

One of the telecom forums I participate in will not allow me to post questions or answers using the stock browser. I have to use Chrome.

Such a shame. The tablet was quite expensive (I purchased the Verizon Wireless 4G/LTE model), only to have
sofware upgrades end in less than a year. I'm in the process of switching over to Microsoft.

Israel Andrade

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
OK Y'All, Blissroms.com has Android 5.0.1 for this tablet. (n8000 and N8013).

It works well except for Netflix App. It is faster, very clean memory handling, and you can move apps to SD card. It REALLY works.

I hope this helps those of you with this tablet move to Lollipop.

G

pacmusicman

Estimable
Jul 19, 2015
Essentially...the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 ( 2012) has been capped by Samsung with the last release of Jellybean 4.1.2.

My thought would be to go with a more current model.

killa watts

Estimable
Aug 12, 2015
How do I install the download?

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

I also would like help here ... - I don't know how to do this but would very much like to try. I have an N8013.

gmurnock

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
Also looking for response on this for N8013.

DeanoD

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I bought the sm-p600 2014 Edition only a few months ago. Aside from the original setup, which one can hardly call an update, I have received no update. I wanted this tab for the pen aspect due to my arthritis causing dexterity issues. And, as for future Samsung products for me, there will be none. For what we paid for high-end features, but lack of service is an outright screwing. I used to have a Samsung phone. I used it a lot to enjoy my mp3's on the externnal card. When I needed a newer phone, I couldn't justify the price or lack of storage. So I went to an LG G3. I have a question for any lawyers out there: Is there, or shouldn't there be an onus on the maker and seller of a device to disclose that it has been discontinued? (USED TO CALL THIS DUMPING)I buy a product as new, and I should get it. Good thing that Sammy doesn't sell foodstuph, eh? BTW- Why is my model version so different for Canada.

Chris-mt

Estimable
Aug 24, 2015

If you want 5.1 on your 2012 Wifi only tablet version n8013 you can get it at Blissroms. You do have to be rooted first.

Here's the link to v3.1 for android 5.1:
http://downloads.blissroms.com/BlissPop/Official/n8013/

Here's Blissroms (also known as BlissPop) on XDAdevelopers:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10-1/development/rom-bliss-stalk-team-bliss-n8013-n8010-t2913401

And if you want to google the file name to find more info on this rom or videos on it, the file is called:
BlissPop-v3.1-n8013-OFFICIAL-041815.zip

Hope this helps.

sheryltoo

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Wow, this is pretty disturbing. I actually own both the 2012 edition and the 2014 and have enjoyed both of them. I just restored my 2012 edition and have been setting it up for my husband. There were a couple apps I wanted to install but they said I needed KitKat only now after all my searching for some help, I see it's not available. I was going to try one of the methods listed here using Kies, but I have no idea what this is. I did do a search for it but I wasn't sure what to download. There's a version 2 and 3. I'm using a Windows 10 computer. Maybe it's a good thing I just bought the Surface 3. I'm assuming at least Windows will continue with updates for many years to come. I would never switch to an ipad. I tried one before buying my Note 2012 edition and hated it. Returned it the next day. Apple products are just too controlling for me plus I hated the fact that there wasn't a slot for an sd card. It's so much easier sharing something from a Samsung tablet or now my Surface tablet.

Jazmin_1

Estimable
Sep 19, 2015

How do I download blissroms and get 5.0.1?

Israel_1

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015