samsung galaxy s duos/ics problem message history

rjdojo

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
at first i didn't know what to do... the first time it happened, it suddenly told me there's no message history.. i cant view the messages and i cannot send any sms... i restarted the phone and it worked again.. now, it is frequently happening, usually every 1-2 days, it will say no message history again and i have to restart it... can someone help me? is it a system problem or a hardware?

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Sounds like it's a software issue. Your phone might have gotten a virus. Yes, people make viruses for Androids. Sad, I know.

Back up anything you need to save to the SD card, then turn the phone off and remove the SD card.

Next, hold the volume down + power buttons for approximately 30 seconds or until the HBOOT menu appears. Try volume up + power if the first doesn't work.

In the HBOOT menu (HBOOT is essentially BIOS for smartphones) select the "restore to factory defaults" option using the volume keys to navigate, and the power button to select it.

This will delete all apps and data on the phone, and return it to the stock settings, the condition in which you bought the device.

Re-insert the SD card and move the media you backed up back to the phone. If the issue persists, take it to a cell phone repair shop and have them take a look at it.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Not a problem. In the future, please remember to click the "pick as solution" button to mark those who helped you.

I have taken the liberty here to mark Atomic as the solution for you.

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to post. Tom's is here to help.

Cheers

alicepattinson

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

This is also my solution if I have so many problems on my phone. Reset and it's brand new again. hihihi

rjdojo

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
hmmmmm it seems to be happening again... i cant keep resetting my phone every month :| do you have any other solutions? now it happens every other day again... i just keep restarting my phone everytime it happens.. hmmm... resetting phone is too much hassle.. i always need to back up and restore apps :|

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
If the issue is persistent after a factory reset - it means that there's something wrong with the initial Android install.

You could try downloading the stock ROM and flashing it yourself - however this will void your warranty. Also, if you don't know what flashing is, I'd recommend you don't even try it. The odds of you damaging your phone even more are pretty high if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

So again, if you have no experience with flashing, you should take it in to a repair center.

rjdojo

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

i don't know why it keeps happening on me.. i just changed my phone to samsung galaxy s3 mini and it does the same after 2-3 days. zzzzzz im really pissed...

rjdojo

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

you may be right.. but im thinking i have this sim for almost 2 years and i used it on galaxy y long before using it on galaxy s duos and later s3 mini.... there were no problems in galaxy y... definitely not the memory card cause im using a different one now. and it doesn't seem to happen to other people... hmmm.... thank you very much, you've been so helpful to me :)

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
One other thing it could be is a virus. Yeah, there's viruses for Android. Do you frequent any sites on your phone in particular? Or do you remember doing/installing/downloading anything on both devices?

If you changed the phone, and you're sure it's not a virus, the issue is likely to be either the SIM card, or the network.

If I were you I'd go get a new SIM card and test it, they're only about $10. You can have your number transferred to it at the store, usually.

If the issue STILL persists, contact the carrier and ask them for help. If the phones under warranty you should be able to get a diagnostic done on the device at a service center.