Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra marks the end of an era — here's why

bobmeyerweb

Honorable
Oct 6, 2018
The only really useful curved screen was on the first phone I had with it: the S7 Edge. Curved on only one side, IIRC, and with a large enough area on the curve to actually display information. I could set the phone down on my nightstand with a clock display on the edge, visible without having to pick up the phone. And it could use the edge display to flash a notification light that was visible with the phone face down. Moderately useful. Since then, it's just been a style thing, with no real functional benefit beyond cramming a few more pixels into a slightly narrower phone.

But all the whining about how hard it was to use makes me wonder if the author is physically challenged. I never had the slightest issue getting the edge functions to work. Nor did I ever have a screen crack at the curve. Only one I dropped a broke cracked from the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob1C

stuffofinterest

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Good riddance. I've had curved screens on my last three phones (Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy S10+, and Galaxy S23 Ultra). I gave up on trying to find a screen protector for my latest one as they were all too hard to put on or had bad reviews for how they worked. In contract, for my son's S23+ I was able to get a Spigen screen protector that went one without any issue and still looks perfect six months later.

The curved screen may have had some advantages for bringing the screen closer to the edge of the phone, but the drawbacks outweighed it by far.

Jan 22, 2024
More like end of something good because people don't know how to make out of it and thinks they make phones for them only. If don't like it the find other flat phones out there.

You buy expensive premium phones the complains on it later and it's third party accessories that has nothing to do with the phone but you alone. The problem is the one using it, not the phone.

Jan 22, 2024
I loved the curved screen and this makes me actually consider getting the s23 ultra over the s24 ultra. I never had any issues with it breaking or anything else but then I never try to use screen protectors as they are all terrible and not needed on modern smartphones in my experience. The ability to use the curve to open a calculator or notes or something quickly was probably one of most used features for me on my Samsungs and I'm going to miss it! Such a simple but great usability aid which looked great

Sep 26, 2023
Nope, I'll miss it. I just loving the feeling of swiping from left to right on my s22. To mitigate slippiness I've always used a flexible case on my samsung phones.

Unless someone can confirm to me that swiping from the edges still feels about as satisfying as the previous models, I might just end up upgrading to a different brand.

Jan 23, 2024
No. I will definitely miss it. I loved and enjoyed the curved edge on the iterations of the note and S series. I hate to see it go. I use it all the time and I wish they hadn't let it go.

Mar 22, 2024
But those other concepts…
Edge/Waterfall Concept display got out for good,
Pop-up cameras got out for good,
Under Screen Camera… didn’t got out yet
But those were the parts I used to like for the future of phones, until they all got replaced by the Punch-Hole camera!?