Samsung Galaxy S3 Battery Problem

kilo71

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon Wireless (SCH-I535). My problem started about two weeks ago. I charge my phone at night. When I would wake up and check it, one of two things would happen.
1. While it was still plugged in it would read 100%, but after being unplugged it would immediately jump down to 50% or so.
2. It won't charge past a certain point, say 35%.
The percentages would vary day to day.
So I decided to take it to the store and see if the could help. They had no idea so they sent me a new phone. I just got it today and I am charging my battery in the new one, as it did not come with its own. I am wonder if it is a fault in my phone or the battery. I would like to keep my old phone if possible and just order a new battery. If anyone has any ideas, they are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kilo71

Update: It is currently at 80% and has been charging in the new phone for about 2 hours. It was completely dead when I plugged it in.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
I would have instantly assumed it to be the battery but I think you answered your own question in the update. It sounds as if the phone was not properly reading the charge while being plugged in.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
When you said you charged your brother's battery in your phone and it worked fine, are you referring to the old phone you had or the new one? If you still had the original phone, it would have been an easy test to switch the batteries around and see if the charging problem followed the battery or the phone.