Samsung Galaxy S4 - " Sim card not detected - reboot "

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin5609

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Has anyone else had an issue with their Galaxy S4 constantly coming up as the sim card not being detected and having to reboot?

My phone started doing it on the very odd occasion, but now it seems to do it 12+ times a day, sometimes 4 or 5 times in a row on a bad day. Sim card isn't loose. Works fine after a reboot (most of the time, sometimes keeps having to reboot).

Seems to happen more often since I upgraded to KitKat, but might be irrelevant. Google doesn't seem to help besides sending it off for repair which I'm pretty close to doing. Has anyone found any solutions besides?

marcogrape

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015
I updated to Lollipop last night and haven't had a problem since (so far). Before I couldn't have the phone on for 5mins without a problem. So maybe it's a software issue? Will let you know if it fails.

EDIT: No luck, still fails to see SIM card. Lasted 12 hours though which is a record...

mrcramac

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015
In removing the light gray bezel inside the back cover, I noted there were several modular plugs with scores of tiny connectors beneath. (it should be noted that chrome outer bezel around perimeter of phone disconnects from the rest of the phone by snapping off as a part of the gray internal bezel) I got my hands on some electronics contact cleaner (typically freon) and lightly sprayed each connector after I carefully pried each individually loose. I gently re-pressed each one - one at a time - back into place, and repeated several times while the contact cleaner was still wet and present and not yet evaporated. This should have shined up each contact and it's corresponding socket receptor. There were 5 or 6 of these ribbon cable terminal contacts all over the mother board and I repeated the process for each. They look somewhat like a centipede when you pull them up with all the tiny legs hanging down. Be very careful not to bend them when re-inserting. Press evenly across the terminal contacts surface to re-plug cable into socket. Thus far, and it's been 3 hours since having done this, no issues with SIM card again. And, it WAS losing it about every 20 minutes prior to my DNC (Dust-n-Cleaning) procedure.
Hope that helps everyone else.
- Craig -

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
DANGIT!

Getting this error on my GS4 that I just got on Ebay. Generally once or twice a day.

I did the "foam mounting tape right on top of the SIM cable connector" trick and it seems to have cut down on the occurences, although I got one yesterday after taking from my pocket. I thought it was due to bending etc from being in pocket.

THIS MORNING MY PHONE HAS BEEN SITTING QUIETLY ON MY DESK, NO MOVEMENT, and I just picked it up to find the SIM error. WTF????? I feel like this could be a software-based issue. How could I get the error when the phone was sitting quietly on a desk?

Technojunky

Estimable
Mar 26, 2015
I have been experiencing the same problem. I sent my phone for repair under warranty and it arrived back today with a note saying it had been tested with no fault found. They also noted a software upgrade was done. On review of the phone operating system it appears they have returned the phone to the Android 4.3 operating system so maybe a downgrade would have been more accurate a description. I have lost some functionality including hiding and unhiding items e.g. pictures. It has been operating for several hours now without a hitch but I still have a pending sense of doom. It may just be a software conflict issue and a downgrade to Android 4.3 may be the fix. Will keep you posted.

cd216513

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

I started seeing this on my S4 starting maybe a week and half ago. I'm still on jelly bean, because the kitkat update always fails in the middle. Haven't found any good solutions yet... I'm planning on just hanging on until I can get a new phone :-/

DonnyC

Estimable
Mar 26, 2015
Believe it or not this is not a software issue. It is a hardware issue. I finally found out what the issue was. Adding tape to the sim card does not fix this problem. On some S4 models, it is mounted differently. I actually have to see the phone but keep in mind that his worked for 3 out of 4 phones. Its really hard to explain. I don't want you send me the phone and def do not expect anyone to travel a long time to me. This is an issue that Samsung or phone companies have never resolved. If you are in Toronto area, it may be worth the trip. Even if the "Fix" does not work, It wouldn't do any damage to the phone.

Chris Wozniak

Estimable
Mar 26, 2015

Where exactly in Toronto and what is the process I'm in kitchener email is redacted

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
@ DonnyC is your solution basically some form of applying more pressure to the area where the sim card CABLE attaches to the motherboard? Just curious

So I added a small square of mounting tape directly above that attachment point. It is just below and to the left of the camera flash. When the back is closed, it pushes down on that area more. This seemed to lower the frequency of incidences.

Over the weekend I was getting a lot of the errors again as my phone gets put in my jeans pocket on top of my wallet (yes I am a front pocket wallet guy with a skinny wallet). My theory is that this physically flexes the phone and may jostle whatever inside the phone enough to momentarily disrupt the SIM contact either at the SIM itself or at the connector of the cable to the mobo.

I would often pull the phone out of my pocket and it would be waiting for me to reboot. Every time I rebooted it found the SIM and was normal again.

SO I tried adding some paper to the back of the SIM card to add more pressure in there. That seemed to be a bad idea, as the errors didn't stop. Actually THEN I was getting errors even on Sunday night just picking up the phone from my nightstand. Lots of them. Ugh.

Took the paper out Monday morning and did a WIPE CACHE from the recovery menu. Haven't had a problem since then. I'm sure typing this will jinx me into having one again!

My last try would be to open the plastic shell to expose the guts of the phone and then put my mounting tape directly on top of that connector. I'm holding off doing that because I'd prefer not to open up the phone and I'm not sure whether jamming down that connector into the socket is really a good idea for the long term.

The random errors that were coming while the phone was just sitting on the nightstand with the paper inside the SIM holder really had me confused. And the fact that thing seem better after doing a cache wipe also have me confused.

It's aggravating but I like the S4. The other thing is if you google you can see the S5 also has this error so I don't know that paying more to Ebay an S5 will fix anything.

Help?

Anyway let us know your fix if possible. I don't think most people can fly to Toronto to meet you in person.

Thanks

mark33180

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

Will samsung replace thus for free they are telling me since its not on the samsung site its not correct info and i have to pay for repair.

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

If the phone is out of warranty I highly doubt Samsung will pay for it.

there are numerous posts here and elsewhere of people IN WARRANTY sending their phones back and forth with Samsung and not really getting them fixed either.

I wish we knew exactly what is causing this. So much speculation and so many home remedies that sometimes work and sometimes don't seem to.

Jimmydurante

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
I do not like this throw away world, which is why il let you know how to repair yourself because taking it to a shop will cost more than the phone itself!

I have found that if you have never opened up the phone and never touch the SIM. The Charging Dock Port, is the number 1 fault. If that does not work, replace the SIM Card Tray.

Everything can be purchased on Ebay and instructions on Youtube.

Just work with care and be careful not to crimp the antenna cable when putting it all back together.

Please note, only do this if it is not covered under warranty! Because it will void your warranty.

Good Luck :)

jj324

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015

I installed that app, rebooted my phone and I haven't had a problem since. Thanks a lot man

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
My errors seemed to be VERY correlated with times when I would carry the phone along with my wallet in front jeans pocket. I tried the "foam on top of the area where the connector attaches - foam on the OUTSIDE of the plastic shield over the mobo" and it cut down on the errors but didn't eliminate.

Last night I tried opening up the phone by taking off the 9 screws etc. This time I placed the foam mounting tape directly on top of that ribbon connector and then screwed everything back down. Kept the phone in jeans pocket rest of the evening and knock on wood didnt get any errors. Haven't had long enough to issue my proof but I am really hoping this does the trick. I will say that when I lifted off the ribbon connector to try to reseat it, it seemed like it only "clicked" on one side and never really had a positive click on the other. Maybe it is slightly loose and when the phone flexes while jammed into my jeans, it is enough to come temporarily off the connection for just a second which trips the sim card error.

Like others with the "guitar pick" fix I'm hoping that the screwed down case combined with the foam will create a constant pressure that isn't relieved when the phone does any jeans flexing.....

fingers and toes crossed.....I really like this phone and don't want to have to abandon it over this silly design issue. I'm wondering whether later runs of the S4 (beyond that "risk zone" IMEI numbers) have a better ribbon connector that locks down better?

Traderkat64

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

Mine is not in that range and I have that trouble.

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Continuing to touch wood so as not to jinx myself, I have had the phone in my jeans pocket on two different days and have not had the issue recur after putting the mounting foam tape INSIDE the plastic screw-down shield. I think it is a hardware issue with that ribbon connector being loose and not actually snapping down to the socket, and while putting some extra pressure on the OUTSIDE of that screw-down shield can help, it isn't as secure as putting it on the inside where the foam DIRECTLY holds the socket in place.

I can't explain why people have "fixed" the issue through various software reboots, app installations, etc, unless the SIM error can actually be caused by multiple reasons. In my case and it seems in others', the issue is a simple hardware issue. As to why Samsung didn't design that cable to actually click lock down to the board, I dunno......

Toma Alexandru

Estimable
Apr 10, 2015

i think is from the heat ... i started to have this problem after playing the game "Champions" for 1-2 hours ...and the phone is heating very much around the sim card and sd card ...so it may be from the excess heating..

Marbled

Estimable
Apr 11, 2015
I had that problem (and had it one time today in I don't know how many weeks) and I tried the following:

- Clean the contacts of the SIM with an eraser.
- Change the SIM
- Change the SIM card and SD card reader (it's the same part). I actually had to do that twice as the SD card reading part was defective with the first part I installed.

Changing the SIM card and SD card reader did it for me until today when I again got that $$$@(#*@#* message...

I am definitely considering switching brands next time (ie no more Samsung...)...

Good luck!

Nick

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

I have been perfect for this whole week after installing the foam tape right on top of the sim connector. This includes many times with phone in jeans pocket which always was the problem.

Just pulled phone out now and had the error. Friggin A.

If it only does it once a week or less I can live with that. Will keep watching it and crossing fingers. I really like the phone and would prefer not to pay up for a GS5

Status
Not open for further replies.