Question Samsung Galaxy S6 fast battery drain after factory reset and battery swap

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Hi all!

So, I've got a Galaxy S6 which was dying super quick (about an hours use till it dies after a full charge), which isn't surprising given it's age. Anyway, I performed a factory reset just to see if that helped matters any, which it didn't, so then my next thought was to replace the battery. So I bought an aftermarket battery from a site called Replace Base (I've used them plenty in the past with no issues) and spent half an hour getting the old one swapped out for the new one.

Now it is still admittedly early days yet as I'm still in the process of power cycling it a few times to break the new battery in, however I'm still dubious as to whether this has solved the problem as even after the battery swap I'm still experiencing some pretty severe battery drain. After about 5 minutes light use I notice the battery drop by a good 5-10%. To make things clearer I'll list the steps I've taken so far below:

1. Factory reset with old battery installed
  2. Swapped old battery for new aftermarket battery
  3. Before turning on fully charged to 100%
  4. Fully drained till power off
  5. Fully charged to 100%

So I'm currently on the second cycle as you can see. Would an additional factory reset make a difference here at all? It's my understanding that the battery life logic is stored on the battery itself and has nothing to do with the phone itself, however I'm admittedly no expert so I could be wrong. The battery life has definitely improved since installing the new battery, however it still isn't what I'd call great? If anyone has any advice I'd certainly be grateful to listen?

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
since that is the case, it may be time to part with the phone. could be a case of the phone itself is getting old.

As I said in a reply to someone else, I'm unfortunately not in the position right now of being able to afford a new phone, so I'm kind of stuck with this one for now. I still think there could be another underlying issue however that's causing the battery drain issues, I'm hoping someone here may be able to offer some advice.

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
As I said in a reply to someone else, I'm unfortunately not in the position right now of being able to afford a new phone, so I'm kind of stuck with this one for now. I still think there could be another underlying issue however that's causing the battery drain issues, I'm hoping someone here may be able to offer some advice.

Did you check your data/wifi usage to see it might be using a lot more than on your previous phone? What about mobile signal - weak or strong? Weak signals could use more power. what about the specs of the new battery, did it match exactly with the oem?