Review Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 hands-on review: Many upgrades equal a big improvement

Hebekiah

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
I work construction and was wondering about it because it seems durable and IPX8 and easier to fit in whatever pocket I have available. Regular phones fall out too easily and since I'm often in awkward physical positions and tight places while checking a picture or diagram on it a dedicated pocket or holder isn't always useful.
So, is this a good choice for that?

Jan 15, 2023
Are there any cases or covers from any manufacturer which cover and block all the lenses from seeing anything? I.e., a "hardware" failsafe against a hacker remotely taking pictures?

Jan 15, 2023
Yes, thanks for the link. That';s the sort of thing ... maybe. Searching on Amazon for
slide camera cover z flip 4
brings up several others.

Do you know whether any of these cover the front camera lens? That''s the most crucial lens to block, and might also be the most difficult. For iPhone, Spy Fy which only does iPhones) is the only case/cover manufacturer I know of which covers front lens as well as rear.

I've heard warnings against applying tape on camera lenses due to possible overheating or something. I don't know how valid those concerns are, and have not heard specifically with regard to this phone.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The front camera should be secure when the phone is in the closed position. Otherwise (when open), I don't know of a case that will cover that one. Given time and demand, I suspect someone will come up with such a thing.

If security is such a concern, phones should not allowed in sensitive areas anyway.

Apr 12, 2023
Warning! If you use Wireless Android Auto, the Flip 4 and Fold 4 have major issues:

My wife and I recently purchased the (very expensive) Flip 4 and Fold 4. Both of us keep our phones up to date. What we have discovered is that these phones CANNOT properly play music (Spotify or Pandora) through Wireless Android Auto. We have tested both of these phones in 3 different cars (2 BMWs and 1 Mercedes), and in ALL cases, songs skip like a bad 80s CD player between 1 to dozens of times per song.
Unfortunately, we discovered this too late, and thought, reasonably, that this could not be the fault of these flagship level phones from such a huge brand.
It's the phones. This never happened with our previous OnePlus phones.
We have tried so many things suggested in forums, including:
  • Re-pairing the phone to the cars
  • Setting unrestricted battery management on all programs involved, including Spotify, Pandora, Android Auto, and Bluetooth
  • Having the cars checked with local dealers for any issues with the head units
  • Rebooting the phones
Having described all of this to Samsung chat support, the final suggestion was to upgrade to a different, also expensive Samsung phone.
Bottom line: If you're going to buy either of these phones, and if you use Wireless Android Auto with music in the car, TEST THIS IMMEDIATELY AFTER PURCHASE, so you'll have time to return the phone for something else.