Samsung Making Galaxy iPod Killer With Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Android + 32GB Galaxy S without phone + GPS = iPod Touch KILLER imo

I certainly thought it was a good idea for it to come with GPS, but if it's going to compete it needs a video out, something i REALLY wanted from my Galaxy S, you have a Hummingbird processor that can play HD video but no output!

Also a shame they took the Super AMOLED screen away, they need something to compete with that retena display, i have to admit it looks nice.

Can't wait to see how people compare the two, should be interesting!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Forgot to add (No edit button..)

Apple has their app store, the Android market isn't exactly up to spec since half of the market is full of apps that look like they we're made in 10 minutes..

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Forgot to add (No edit button..)Apple has their app store, the Android market isn't exactly up to spec since half of the market is full of apps that look like they we're made in 10 minutes..[/citation]
Well, this was maybe true at some time, but I find that the quality of the Android Market contents has seriously increased over the last months. Of course, 99,9% (yes really!) of the Market applications are a complete waste of time and energy but my experience with the AppStore also showed me that only a few hundreds of the 300,000 AppStore applications were worth testing...
Still, I don't see how this will become an iPod killer. Samsung is late (again) and with a product that is not an innovation, probably also priced high. Archos and several others have proposed equivalent solutions before. The Samsung will sell thanks to their name and the money they put in ads campaign in general, but most people will continue buying iPods as they see it as the original one (you can't be wrong buying an iPod, eventhough it has the worst equalizer of all PMP's)...
Even I finally bought an iPod Classic just because no other manufacturer thinks about making an mp3 player with a Hard Disk, which I need if I want to be able to carry my 45Gb music collection on holiday.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]dthx[/nom]Still, I don't see how this will become an iPod killer. Samsung is late (again) and with a product that is not an innovation, probably also priced high.[/citation]

Can't argue with that, now that iv'e thought about it i can only assume Samsung is trying to enter a market full of people who only want what their friends have. (Well actually it's exactly what they're doing)

If they manage to sell a lot of these, it might influence people's buying choice just like what Android devices and iOS devices have done, now a large majority of people buying are looking for Android or iOS, but my guess is people only get what their friends have because the exact same thing happens with my friends.

It's because of me i managed to get some of my friends to buy Windows Mobile pocket pc's haha.

Now they've all changed to iPod touch and iPhone because everyone else has them.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]martel80[/nom]I don't get it. Is the phone component so expensive? Why not just buy the phone and disable the mobile network?[/citation]
Disabling GSM increases battery life. If you don't recharge an ipod for 2 days, it will still be able to switch on when it's needed.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]martel80[/nom]I don't get it. Is the phone component so expensive? Why not just buy the phone and disable the mobile network?[/citation]

Because the Music version of the device will be cheaper than the phone version, and will come with higher memory models.

So 32GB + 32GB internal memory is 64GB

The phone can only be expanded up to 48GB

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
[citation][nom]gti88[/nom]Btw, Iphone 4 32Gb in Moscow costs about $935.Ipod Touch 32Gb costs $370.See the difference?[/citation]

This is exactly what both cost in Europe. US does not have unlocked iPhone at all. 3G component is very expensive (requires gov't approval and certification). iPhone also one of not so many phones that supports EU and US bands.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]gti88[/nom]Btw, Iphone 4 32Gb in Moscow costs about $935.Ipod Touch 32Gb costs $370.See the difference?[/citation]
I wasn't questioning Apple's pricing policy. I wondered if the GSM/3G electronics were so expensive. I highly doubt that the radio component alone costs $565, that was my point.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
It's not about GSM module price.
It's just higher margin. Apple just makes more money selling iphones.
I use a phone and a Windows Mobile PDA.
I would buy an Ipod toch if it had Windows Mobile.

tomdpham

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
The Galaxy S does have video via 3.5mm jack, even though it's just analog. It does complete screen duplication so it'll work with all programs. Not the best picture, but it gets the job done.

If only they fix their wifi problem, it'll be the perfect machine.

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
[citation][nom]jeffunit[/nom]"with front facing camera for video calling"I wonder how video calling works without the functionality of a phone.[/citation]
I wonder how the iPod touch is able to do that as well.... It'll probably be based off the FaceTime standard, which would allow it to communicate with the iPhone and iPod touch, as well (considering it's an open standard).

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I wish we could get these things with basic phone contracts. I'd like an iPhone or Android phone, but seriously I can do without the $100+/mo bills. Making calls with my iPod would be nice... at the price I currently pay which is less than $40/mo on our family/business plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.