Samsung NP350E7C-AOLUS not booting unless I choose F10 then pick the HD to boot from.

e143slime8

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the above mentioned laptop that has developed a boot problem. Will not automatically boot. After the Samsung logo, the screen goes black. In the BIOS settings the HD is chosen as the priority boot. I currently have to choose "f10" which brings me to the boot device screen. From there I can choose the proper HD and the machine will boot properly. I tried resetting the BIOS to default settings, no luck. I removed the HD and plugged it in elsewhere externally, am able to read HD. I finally formatted HD and reinstalled Win7, no change. I called Samsung, they were clueless. They say there is no update for the current BIOS P09ABE version and said I can send it in to them and they would evaluate it. I asked them about resetting and pulling the CMOS battery and they would not help me on that question.

I also tried choosing "Load Optomized Defaults" inside the Boot tab and that did not work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Certainly seems like a firmware hang up. The CMOS battery reset probably won't solve anything if that's the case (and no, the OEM's support will almost never help you in disassembling the laptop due to liability on their end, as well as the time it can take for someone to access the 'guts').

Did you try a power cycle/EC reset; remove battery (if removable) and charger, hold down power button for 5 seconds, then reconnect power and test again. This refreshes the EC chip and can sometimes fix minor bugs like this.

Assuming the hard drive is listed first in the boot priority, then the system main board may need to be reflashed or even reworked. Your drive is probably fine; if you want to search for a firmware update for it and apply that, it's worth a shot, though I think this is a hang up more with the system firmware than the drive's.

e143slime8

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for everyone's help. Right now more of an inconvenience. Might just send it in for Samsung evaluation. Worse case, we get charged 18 to 28 bucks for that service. Can always just leave it in that condition after they look at it. I've already searched and could not find any firmware/BIOS updates which was confirmed by Samsung.