Samsung Prices Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 at $250

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Finally reaching a price point that people would be willing to go for.

Thank you Amazon for showing these companies how these accessory devices should be priced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]What kind of processor? Is it a Tegra 2? That seems like a good deal.[/citation]
Tegra3 based 7" tablets are supposed to be in the $200 range.. I wouldnt pay $250 for a Tegra2 based tablet.

targetdrone

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Finally reaching a price point that people would be willing to go for.Thank you Amazon for showing these companies how these accessory devices should be priced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/citation]

An yet a cellphone with the same specs still cost as much as a desktop.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]targetdrone[/nom]An yet a cellphone with the same specs still cost as much as a desktop.[/citation]
Blame carrier subsidies. They make people undervalue their phones dramatically because they don't realize the other $400 you don't pay up front is baked into the contract. You still bought you phone for $650, you just had an invisible payment plan to do it.

As long as people see a phone that's $250 on contract as a $250 phone, pricing is going to be totally borked and the second hand market is going to suffer.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
What kind of screen it has? super amoled +?
Does it have microSD slot? please do.

I like to get this as a supplement to my galaxy s2(I can easily share media by swapping microSD).

blevsta

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Blame carrier subsidies.[/citation]

Actually, that's exactly the point he's making. A phone is $650, but subsidized down to $250 by carrier contracts.

A tablet, with "the same specs" costs $250, with no contract.

What hardware is in that phone that makes it cost $400 more?

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]What kind of screen it has? super amoled +?Does it have microSD slot? please do.I like to get this as a supplement to my galaxy s2(I can easily share media by swapping microSD).[/citation]

TFA, TFA. No AMOLED, its a normal LCD screen. This is basically a bargain-basement version of a full fledged tablet, somewhere between the iPad (which has vastly more cpu and graphics power and resolution) and Coby "Tablets" with resistive screens that are bad at using for an Ereader and worse at everything else. New software and a new chipset should set it up for a decent product if you aren't willing to pay the extra amount for the iPad. For me, it will all come down to how heavy the thing is. The iPad is just a pain to hold for long periods, if this thing is light enough it might make a good truly portable computing device.

Spectre-7

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
The screen is a 7" PLS TFT, and the CPU is (according to all accounts I've seen) a TI OMAP 4430, same as the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet. This should actually be a considerably better performer than the Nvidia Tegra 2, which skipped the Cortex A9's NEON media processor out of space concerns. As far as I'm aware, the Tab 2 will decode 1080p video at 30fps.

However, I'm still a bit more interested in getting my hands on a Tab 7.0 Plus (1.2GHz Exynos 4210 w/ ARM Mali-400MP graphics, as compared to the Tab 2's 1GHz TI OMAP 4430 w/ PowerVR SGX540 graphics).

Cheers!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Low end Tablets finally get to a point where even entry level performance -and prices- makes them quite useful for business travelers who do not care about playing 3D games or storing hours and hours of HD or 3D movies.

Being able to carry customer data, product specs and photos, maps etc along makes business live much easier as one is not always in WIFI territory to use a laptop/tablet to connect to the office network for crucial sales info etc.

...and I don't care if in can play [enter game] :)

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]targetdrone[/nom]An yet a cellphone with the same specs still cost as much as a desktop.[/citation]

Well, a cellphone also has 3G/4G/LTE network connectivity (unlike this tablet) and typically a display with higher PPI. Also, most people buy these expensive cellphones through contracts so manufacturers don't feel they have to compete so hard on retail, contract-free price.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Well, a cellphone also has 3G/4G/LTE network connectivity (unlike this tablet) and typically a display with higher PPI. Also, most people buy these expensive cellphones through contracts so manufacturers don't feel they have to compete so hard on retail, contract-free price.[/citation]

assuming you are also commenting on blevsta's comment...still doesn't = $400 for the embedded chip that does 3G/4G/LTE. especially if you can get it all on a soc which is being done more and more frequently.

that said, cramming a desktop into a notebook (much less a ultrathin or ultrabook) is obviously going to cost more and quite possibly also cost performance. same idea for cramming a tablet's hardware into a phone. more hardware into tinier space // more heat // lower performance to compensate...and add 3G/4G/LTA chip.

...kinda makes sense that tablets are cheaper. esp if they don't have awesome displays.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I'd rather buy a PlayBook and get real multitasking for $199.[/citation]

The playbook is a nice thing but I lacks quite a lot on the software side. And I am not really sure that its multitasking is a real multitasking. When you put something into background it gets suspended. I would prefer that those browser pages continue to load when I minimize the browser. And if you are using some web chat, it gets disconnected each time.
Another cons for me is the lack of a good PDF reader, Skype etc.
The playbook could be a superior device if they can make the software. I don't need 400 000 crApps or useless onscreen widgets but I expect minimal functionality to work right out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.