Samsung Reveals its Cloud-based Gaming Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Alas, those that own last years model, also called a Smart TV, with firmware upgradeability, aren't able to use the service. Ridiculous.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Apple did the same thing with Siri. No reason why it shouldn't be released on previous generation of devices other than the fact that they want to get people to upgrade.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Samsung is greedy and this service will never take off, because it is too expensive to join their service. If they made it available to anyone with one of their wifi enabled televisions, they would make more money, because people would be using the service and buying games!

Whoever thought up the marketing for this product, should be fired for being a colossal waste of time!

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I guess it makes sense because of the much lesser hardware requirements a fully modern Smart TV could likely bring similar experiences to a dedicated box like OnLive.

Though, one thing that I do have to question is the consumer base if it exists or not. I am sure this is going to effect the prices of their TV's to be higher and those who can afford such a TV would likely be able to afford a dedicated console which provides a smoother and better looking game than the streaming services. It seems to be a bit of backward marketing.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
the problem with cloud is that it goes offline for maintenance, in blizzards case hours at a time, sometimes even all day. in a business day i know for more than a few, that's $80 million in sales vanished per day, break it down into hours, that's 10 million dollars lost per hour the cloud is down.
in gaming, that is how word gets out a game isn't worth $60 but $10 at best.
and lets not forget patching, CLOUD GAMING WILL NOT LET YOU PLAY unless you have the newest patch. and if the log in server goes down.
well that happens so much with cloud gaming, where you can't get on to play it's irritating as all hell, just the internet connection to play is bad enough.
for all you diablo3 players every time the servers go down you should not forget to post " can't play diablo3 because the servers are down, but we can play another game that doesn't require the internet.
play station network incident, megaupload take down.
who can really afford the cloud for as unreliable as it is? it's about as valuable as fools gold for all i have to say in my experience.

seems to me the only people who are for the cloud are the ones that want communist, fascist, dictatorial control over the people using it, for the same reasons those governments give excuses for being.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]It seems to be a bit of backward marketing.[/citation]

It is a value-add and it entices consumers with a smart TV to connect it to their network and perhaps use the TV more often. Most of the Smart TV tech is replicated in several set top boxes and most notably those are the PS3 and Xbox 360. Add in devices like the Roku HD (which now has small games like Angry Birds) and this game capability becomes a must-add feature to keep those consoles disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.