Samsung Sends SD Card Through Death Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
No reason it wouldn't. I have put countless thumb drives through the washer. As long as they are dry before you use them again they will be fine.

proletarian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Feed it to a beagle and wait for it to pass, then test.[/citation]

agreed. if it can pass the digestion test, i'll get one.

mjello

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
[citation][nom]mresseguie[/nom]Too funny. But will it hold up to a run through a washing machine?[/citation]

Mine did :) And it was just a regular plastic card

coggsman

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]SRRAE[/nom]Any memory card could withstand that. Nothing happened.[/citation]

Warning, Warning, Marketing Police alert! Invalid video. Must look way to deep into it. Warning!

Relax, it's just a fun video that might help them sell a few over priced SD cards.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
almost any electronic device will work again after it gets wet, provided it doesn't get wet while turned on, and you wait long enough for it to completely dry off. I remember I was about 10 years old and I poured myself a glass of water and spilled it... but the glass was on a small kitchen TV... and the tv was on... and it started making strange sounds. But I turned it off from the button fast enough and after 1 day it was working with no problems.

gorillateets

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
That was such a retarded video and prooves nothing. I was expecting real tests. All this shows me is the little SD card has a metal shell. Big whoop. What's the metal made of? Steel? Aluminum? They both eventually rust. Tell me it's made of brass at least. That video had my jaw agape because it was so dumb. ANY SD card I guarantee is 'shock' proof just as much as this one. The only difference is this one has a very thin metal shell. Big deal. If you're that rough with an SD card then you shouldn't own any.

rhelme

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
The reason MOST items work when dropped in tap water that comes from a city source is the lack of minerals and conductive ions in the water. If you get water from a well, and you drop your card or phone in the pooper, you are probably SOL (pun intended). The reason is the minerals will have dried and deposited on the card and may have formed their own electrical path's, or caused a once open circuit to become capacitive...

If it is distilled water or water from the city you are in better shape, but distilled water is actually the water that most devices can survive because water by itself is NOT CONDUCTIVE. If you take an Ohm meter and test the resistance of distilled water it should be infinite. City water is touch a go, but better than well water which I find is often very conductive.... ergo yellow sidewalks... worst is salt water.... take that distilled water with infinite resistence and add a touch of salt and.... SOL.

Thats why if you READ the correct procedures usually have you taking the item that was dropped and putting it in distilled water, shaking it out, refilling a new cup with distilled water and trying to dilute the deposits that maybe left.

Many items can come back 100% if acted upon quickly and you have true distilled water available. If you have old phones, that really are not worth selling, mess around with it... but there are some good guides out there, but the advice I gave here is pretty good....

Sometimes its luck, but if you drop it in the ocean, you will want to keep that puppy powered off (if it was like a camera you have much better chance) and in a container of salt water until you can "rinse" it out with distilled water and hopefully leave no salt behind... sometimes its luck, most of the time, quick thinking can save the day....

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
[citation][nom]slipdisc[/nom]I think the question that is on everyone's mind is; will it blend?[/citation]

If it survives that blender, I'm definitely buying one, lol!

Bungwa

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Did the camera not have to contend with nearly as much punishment as the SD card?

I was going to mention the same.
As for the water, it's as Rhelme said in his comment.
When I was in the Navy we used to clean keyboards by soaking them in distilled water.

Status
Not open for further replies.