Samsung Shows Off Transparent OLED Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
/want... so many possibilites from the random and espensive ie high end fishtank backgrounds to putting up over windows for ues as presentation displays in offices to as stated advertising for storefronts... heck even as a heads up display in glasses depending on power usage, imagine glasses where you see your incoming txt msgs and such in front of you without having to pull out a phone or anything... wait that could casue trouble what with people walkign into fountains and manholes these days as it is

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Can you imagine simulated 3D using tens of transparent OLED layers placed on top of each other? I saw an artist do it with slightly offsetting images drawn on stacked glass panes. It was mindboggling.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zubikov[/nom]Can you imagine simulated 3D using tens of transparent OLED layers placed on top of each other? I saw an artist do it with slightly offsetting images drawn on stacked glass panes. It was mindboggling.[/citation]
I was thinking the exact same thing. Man that is some cool stuff.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zubikov[/nom]Can you imagine simulated 3D using tens of transparent OLED layers placed on top of each other? I saw an artist do it with slightly offsetting images drawn on stacked glass panes. It was mindboggling.[/citation]
Totally agree with your on the layers.

Samsung is on a role here! Pretty soon they'll dominate the mobile market with their innovative tech. Nokia needs to catch up. :p

Von Death

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
1.)Take Transparent OLED and use it as the "glass cover" part for the mirror in your bathroom.
2.) Hide cord.
3.) Wait for a guest to use bathroom. When they go to wash their hands, they look in the mirror. Suddenly, a horrific monster appears for a brief moment and then vanishes. For maximum effect position it on the mirror so it looks like the monster is behind them.
4.) Listen to screams. Claim to have no knowledge that your house was haunted.

G

yet they cant seem to figure out how to make bezel-less displays......

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Two layer, 1 OLED and one that auto-blacking stuff that blacks when a current is put to it.

Then you could have a huge bay window in your house that doubled as a big screen TV. Translucent if you wanted it, or blackened background for crisp picture.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I feel like the folks at Samsung should pay the people on this comments board to just sit there and say what comes to mind.

- Touch sensitive
- Overlay display
- 3D simulation
- Construction material / window glass
- Apparel

All these ideas in just a few posts. Know what I'm saying??

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]zubikov[/nom]I feel like the folks at Samsung should pay the people on this comments board to just sit there and say what comes to mind.- Touch sensitive- Overlay display- 3D simulation- Construction material / window glass- ApparelAll these ideas in just a few posts. Know what I'm saying??[/citation]How about Fully Automated Assault and Policing Robot?

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Still waiting for the car windshield that projects directions assisted by GPS. I don't want my GPS to turn left, I want it to highlight a path on the road for me to follow. I want it to highlight every gas station and my own house. I want a touch sensitive panel that isn't only my speed (offering both km/h and mph, dial vs number etc.) will directly tell me if a tire is leaking or my windshield washer fluid is low, or how many litres/gallons of fuel I have left.

At this point in time, it's not economically feasible yet (what kind of yield did they have on these OLED windows? I remember that the yield for the flexible OLEDs was absolutely terrible) among other things.

I can dream, can't I?
Who knows, maybe dreams will become reality.
I know I used to dream of a fully functional computer the size of a cell phone when I was little, and then a couple years back I learnt of the Sony UX (4.5" Windows XP handheld).

These are strange times we live in, when fiction becomes fact.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]Still waiting for the car windshield that projects directions assisted by GPS. I don't want my GPS to turn left, I want it to highlight a path on the road for me to follow. I want it to highlight every gas station and my own house. I want a touch sensitive panel that isn't only my speed (offering both km/h and mph, dial vs number etc.) will directly tell me if a tire is leaking or my windshield washer fluid is low, or how many litres/gallons of fuel I have left.At this point in time, it's not economically feasible yet (what kind of yield did they have on these OLED windows? I remember that the yield for the flexible OLEDs was absolutely terrible) among other things.I can dream, can't I?Who knows, maybe dreams will become reality.I know I used to dream of a fully functional computer the size of a cell phone when I was little, and then a couple years back I learnt of the Sony UX (4.5" Windows XP handheld).These are strange times we live in, when fiction becomes fact.[/citation]

Still no dick tracy watch, still no jetsons flying car in every garage, still no C3PO personal assistants in every house, still no vacations on mars, still no holodeck, still no levitating skateboard a la back to the future movie.

KingArcher

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]Still no dick tracy watch, still no jetsons flying car in every garage, still no C3PO personal assistants in every house, still no vacations on mars, still no holodeck, still no levitating skateboard a la back to the future movie.[/citation]

Thanks for the list. Let me get started on that ASAP. :p

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
You can already do the same kind of thing by using a projection TV to shine on a semi-transparent plastic fitted to a piece of glass.

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
This is what you use to replace your current windows in your house! Then you get that perfect mountainous landscape when you wake up in the morning instead of your neighbor's house. That, of you'd be able to have your window display the time, temperature, stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.