Samsung TVs Injecting Ads in Owners' Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Samsungis going from good t ba quickly with this. But I can see this will be the future for TV Ads. I bet it won`t be long and we`ll see all Smart TV`s do this!!!

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
I'm seeing a pattern of Samsung bias from Marshall Honorof on these recent TV articles. There's always an excuse he gives for Samsung. I don't know if he's just a Samsung fanboy, but its getting old.

On recouping costs through advertisement, because poor Samsung isn't making any money from TV apps like Netflix, is not a compelling reason to insert ads. Remember, those apps are developed, not by Samsung, but by the service providers. Samsung has virtually zero cost in allowing the apps to run on their TV's. In fact, they certainly charge Netflix, Hulu and other companies a hefty fee to include them in a premium home space. Samsung is making money hand over fist with these fees.

These ads are simply a new revenue stream to increase profits. They aren't "balancing" any costs with them.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
people need to stop bitching...they know what they are purchasing...we can forget about privacy these days...there is no such thing anymore, there never was...get used to it

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
if you really want to be sure your tv is not sending data then don't connect it to the wifi....problem solved...smart tv software is cumbersome to use anyways

Tanner Fredrickson

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
Samsung isn't going from good to bad, because they were never "good". They're the same as Apple, two sides of the same coin really.

Every phone and tablet of theirs has been burdened by heavy skins and copious amounts of bloatware. They've been nearly as overpriced as Apple, and they quietly allow the same Human rights violations in their manufacturing chain as Apple.

Additionally, they've always played the panel lottery with TVs, shipping some customers inferior panels without warning, and without changing the model number, even from the TVs in the same line with better panels.

The only thing I've seen from Samsung perform consistently up to spec are their SSDs.

derekullo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
So if you enable Yahoo ads in the settings menu you are displayed ads.
Where they expecting to not get ads with displaying ads being enabled?

I would also opt out of Microsoft ads and Google ads if given the option.

Russell Mezger

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
I mean... what? "Samsung makes very little money from apps". They make the device and sell the device, THAT'S how they make money. Also, how would app makers feel about their content being interrupted to show ads?

Smart TVs are already at risk of being irrelevant in the face of $40 or less streaming sticks that work better, sticking adds on apps arbitrarily would absolutely murder them.

InvalidError

Distinguished

To deliver apps on their Smart-TVs, smart-TV manufacturers need to maintain an app development and distribution ecosystem which has on-going costs. Those are not included in your TV's up-front cost so the manufacturers have to recover these some other way.

If they cannot generate revenue from apps to support the infrastructure, the SmartTV thing is going to become an unsustainable money sink and manufacturers will abandon it.

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
heres the best of it 24hr surveillance is the future for you and then think about the gadets you may use with touch or finger print ?? don't think that's not being filed also then I wonder if there not a cam involved to get a snapshot to add to your file ??

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsungs-warning-our-smart-tvs-record-your-living-room-chatter/

Marshall Honorof

Editor
Herald
Aug 1, 2013
I'm seeing a pattern of Samsung bias from Marshall Honorof on these recent TV articles. There's always an excuse he gives for Samsung. I don't know if he's just a Samsung fanboy, but its getting old.

I'm not exactly sure what bias you're referring to. If you're asking why I don't get all in a tizzy over Samsung making questionable choices when it comes to smart TVs, the reasons are twofold:

1) It's not really my job to insert my own opinion into these pieces. Samsung has always been on the level with me. If the company says it only shares voice data with Nuance, or that showing ads through Plex was a mistake, I have to put that in the story, because a company response is relevant to the article.

2) I have written so many stories about just about every organization with an online presence pushing the boundaries of what is considered "acceptable" consumer-oriented behavior that I have a hard time being surprised by it anymore. I can't explode with moral outrage over every breach of consumer ethics, because if I did, most of my articles would sound like shrieking rants.

I have no desire to either lionize or demonize Samsung, or any other company I cover. As far as my own biases go, I have a 48" non-smart Samsung LED TV. The picture is great, but the sound stinks. I got it as a housewarming gift from my family. That's about the sum of my relationship with the company.

toffty

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Dumb TV + HTPC all the way. All a TV should be is an interface to display what's being passed to it. So much more freedom for the consumer to have them separate. PC too old? Upgrade it. Smart TV you'd have to replace the whole dang thing.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Soon videos will have AD space available so the billboard in the shot will show different ADs when you view. The same with stores in the background or ADs on terminal walls or shopping bags virtually any item in a room could be AD placement.
Geico ADs and others in the past have had AD placement, so with the benefit of new tech now your favorite movie night have something different on theTV in the background or a different LOGO on the pizza box. That is if you stream the video or view while connected to the NET.
All hail the mighty dollar.

Russell Mezger

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Junkymonkey:
Ongoing support for a product is built into the cost of the product. In terms of apps, samsung maintains a platform for other people's apps, as referenced here plex. In the past since electronic devices and software existed you'd buy them and they'd be patched on an ongoing basis, the cost of that was ostensibly built in to the cost of the product. Netgear may patch its routers, but they don't put ads on your internet. Just as Windows would be updated ongoing without slipping ads into the OS. You buy a smartphone, those are updated a few times without additional ads being placed through them by the manufacturer that intrude on other apps.

I would say that if netflix, hulu, hbo, or plex got wind that samsung was putting unauthorized ads on their apps, those guys would pull their apps from those platforms.

That being said, if it's a bug, then what likely is the reason is much like google and apple have ad platforms that app makers can utilize within their apps for revenue thats likely split somehow between the apmaker and the device maker, samsung is creating a tv ad platform that app makers for their platform to use.

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
I guess that guy missed what I was getting at above . the article about it records you in the room your in with the tv and also weather its due to having a app involved you got to remember the app needs hardware support and then whats to stop someone from exploiting that under your nose ??

Samsung's warning: Our Smart TVs record your living room chatter
http://www.cnet.com/news/samsungs-warning-our-smart-tvs-record-your-living-room-chatter/

so someone gains access to it or hacks in then what ??? you may be under surveillance and never know -- but I guess its ok for most all who just put there lives out on the cloud or social media then sits around worrying about identity theft so if your privacy is not a concern then nothing here to worry about

Status
Not open for further replies.