Samsung Working on AMOLED with Touch Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtm33

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
"producing the first-ever active matrix OLED (AMOLED) panel with built-in touch technology sometime in March"

I am currently holding a Cowon S9 MP3 player... which has a touch based AMOLED display. Am I missing something here?

jtm33

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
"producing the first-ever active matrix OLED (AMOLED) panel with built-in touch technology sometime in March"

I am currently holding a Cowon S9 MP3 player with a touch base AMOLED display. Am I missing something here?

jtm33

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
Apologies for double post, I hit to submit and then signed in which somehow posted my comment but didn't appear in the page preview so I wrote it again...

kevin1212

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
"Unlike current touch screen products (which consists of a separate touch sensor on top of the display)"

I'm guessing they're saying that the s9 falls under that category. Still don't see the big breakthrough though. Also own an s9, and i cant see how it could get any better, in terms of the touch screen... well, and everything else.

That resolution is higher than the S9's though, by quite some distance. 480x800 to S9's 272x480 is a big jump.

jtm33

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
Aaah yes I see, but honestly the display on my S9 is very good, I can't really what they are doing will have much of an improvement.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
If perfected this "roll away" ability would make it even more promising. Imagine a super sized HD screen (with vivid colours, brightness and stellar contrast ratios) tucked away like a projector screen in your home theatre room! Imagine the power savings compared to ordinary projectors? Not to mention noise and heat.

Chrys

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
The screens will be better because there is less between the person and the light source, usually enabling better displays. Also, with it being embedded in the pixel it shows that it will scale a lot better and be a more accurate touch screen.

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
yeah, i think the fact that you will be able to "roll up the screen" on your mp3 player will be something of a gain. think of a USB stick with a "retractable" screen.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
[citation][nom]jtm33[/nom]Aaah yes I see, but honestly the display on my S9 is very good, I can't really what they are doing will have much of an improvement.[/citation]

Hear that Samsung?!
S9 is good enough - so hold your horses and quit trying to do better! :(

No comment.

jtm33

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
I think it's good what they are doing... when I wrote that comment I just didn't understand what it meant.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Although OLED screens do not require backlighting, they do generate deeper contrast ratios, consume less power and are thinner than LCDs
'Although' and 'they do' should be removed from this sentence.

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Great_a new product from Samsung? I'm still waiting for Samsung to release their 27" monitors to the US market. They have been available in the Asian markets for almost six months.

NegativeX

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
But is it brighter?!

I find it funny, all these companies are pushing new "mobile" technology, but as soon as you go "mobile" with any of these products, you can't see the damn screen 90% of the time to due direct or ambient light outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.