Samsung's 5-inch Galaxy Wi-Fi Tablet Launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
what is the hardware spec? is the processor dual core, single core? what gpu? how much RAM, what is the camera? screen resolution?

I guess i can google it but then, what is the point of reading the article. I guess, you could always provide, "the specs are not available" somewhere in the article :)

G

No, it won't kill the iPod touch. Any moron could tell you that. This thing will be forgotten in a month.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]So it's basically a big phone?[/citation]

Don't forget "without the phone" part too. So you can pay over $250 for a 5" tablet with a single core processor and no cell service to tag along with your smartphone, or buy a nice large Kindle Fire with a better dual-core processor and a 7" screen for just $199. Now that's a tough decision...

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]what is the hardware spec? is the processor dual core, single core? what gpu? how much RAM, what is the camera? screen resolution?I guess i can google it but then, what is the point of reading the article. I guess, you could always provide, "the specs are not available" somewhere in the article[/citation]

Think Galaxy S minus the phone capabilities.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Hmm, I could be looking for a replacement for my Zune HD (just in case), but if it doesn't have 64 GB of storage...

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
bring it down to $175 and i'll pick one up. I don't want to spend extra on a phone when i have one already, wi-fi capable with a sizeable screen is all i need. does it have dual core goodness on it? i don't know i want more info...

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]Don't forget "without the phone" part too. So you can pay over $250 for a 5" tablet with a single core processor and no cell service to tag along with your smartphone, or buy a nice large Kindle Fire with a better dual-core processor and a 7" screen for just $199. Now that's a tough decision...[/citation]
+1 to that

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Well, its competition for the iPod Touch...and that's a good thing. ...but I wonder how many people in the market for either an iPod Touch or this will choose this.

G

so why should i get this if i have a 4" phone ? , im sure the the extra inch from any phone 'dnt make that diff.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]TechiDude[/nom]so why should i get this if i have a 4" phone ? , im sure the the extra inch from any phone 'dnt make that diff.[/citation]
You probably shouldn't get this.

...but if you're looking for a non-phone MP3 device that you can surf the net on and get apps for...this might appeal....

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
So a device similar in specs to the ipod touch with full android market support and expandable memory?

Not bad, I love what i can do with my Galaxy S, media beaming to devices, full network browsing with file copy, no chain to some proprietary application, my music gets synced to my pc when i connect to the wifi connection...

Assuming the lack of phone features means an increase in battery life (the one thing that sucks about my galaxy s) I'd say Samsung should have a winner in the PMD market, especially at the price point they've listed here.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I had been reading all your comments about how great Android was, so when it came time to upgrade my phone, I got a new Motorola Atrix 4g. I love the phone, but the Android apps all want access to the "internet, phone number and phone serial number, number you are calling, etc,etc. Everytime you install and Android App, read what it requires access to on your phone. If they want to they can track everything you do because you just agreed to it by installing the app, even Angry Birds. It might be the same on IOS, don't have any Apple products so I don't know. But to me afte finding this out Android is not "all that".

jcaulley_74

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]I had been reading all your comments about how great Android was, so when it came time to upgrade my phone, I got a new Motorola Atrix 4g. I love the phone, but the Android apps all want access to the "internet, phone number and phone serial number, number you are calling, etc,etc. Everytime you install and Android App, read what it requires access to on your phone. If they want to they can track everything you do because you just agreed to it by installing the app, even Angry Birds. It might be the same on IOS, don't have any Apple products so I don't know. But to me afte finding this out Android is not "all that".[/citation]
While I also find that annoying, don't blame Android. The permissions are all set up by the software writers. Android just makes sure that you are aware of what those developers are getting into on your phone. If you don't like what it is asking for permissions to, don't install it and thank android for telling you before you gave away all those permissions. And remember, internet access is requested on a lot of freeware because the apps are ad supported so it needs the access to get to the ads.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Really makes you wonder how adding phone capabilities adds $250 to the price tag.. A wireless 4G radio cost's about $20 and that's from an expensive manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.