Samsung's First 3D HDTV: The Good and Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Nobody is going to rush to buy a 3D HDTV anytime soon this is going to backfire and out of there stupidity they are going to deserve the losses coming their way. Oh well time to kick up the feet and eat some popcorn and watch how this turns out.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
*sighs* No , I want 3-D that does not need glasses , purchasing the glasses would suck , and "upconverting" 2-D to 3-D just does not work that way, it's gotta be produced in both 2-D and 3-D.

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
this tech is just like everything else - remember when the first BD players came out at like $1K?

when this tech follows the same trend then by the end of next year all TV's will be 3D capable at similar price points to non-3d TV's now, and the 3d glasses will be $30-50 each

G

I dont even like to wear my sight glasses.. Like I'll want to put the 3D ones on to watch.. Get bent! As long as 3D uses glasses, you won't EVER see one of those in my home

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
If I had the money I'd invest in one of the tv's just so they have interest and keep pushing the tech. Seeing that I don't I'll just sit back and hope they get to the passive 3d tech before the love affair with 3d ends again.

traken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Are the companies of the world just trying to force 3D to work, or are there actually enough people that have shown a desire for this stuff for it to be profitable?

The only good thing that can come from this is if it leads to actual holograms any time soon. However, I'd prefer if we just went to neural stimulation as our next vision media.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Uhh... Because you guys are experts? I'm not saying I'm an experts, but those saying "You can't 'upconvert' 2D to 3D", considering the article says "Worse, TechRadar said that sometimes things would appear in the wrong order of depth." then yeah, I believe you can. Notice they say SOMETIMES as well. Which does not mean all the time, or even most of the time.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
What does make a TV a "3D" TV please? Higher refresh rate? Synchro signal for the glasses? Well, can't we have that as an addon?

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I truly believe that 3D will remain in the realm of Movies and video games for some time. I've been interested in 3D for years and have actually built several solutions. The effect in gaming is by far the most promising. I doubt that it will really take off for TV. Maybe for high profile shows but nobody is going to want to put on the glasses for the evening news. Unfortunately, glasses will continue to be the requirement for some time to come.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I agree that 40" is not big enough to truly get a good immersive 3d experience. 3D scews visual perspective in a way that allows you sit much closer. I sit about 3 feet away from my 61" 3D DLP when using it in 3D mode. At 40" you'd have to sit about 20" away.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]What does make a TV a "3D" TV please? Higher refresh rate? Synchro signal for the glasses? Well, can't we have that as an addon?[/citation]

3D TV's (that are currently being produced) have the ability to create a stereoscopic image by displaying 2 images on the screen. 1 for each eye. When you where shutter glasses there is an LCD shutter that flickers back and forth very fast that only allows 1 eye to view the screen at any given time. However, this happens so fast that you can't tell. The glasses sync with the dual images on TV so that it causes a slight "shift" in perspective. You only see 1 image and it appears to have stereoscopic depth. And yes... this is an option. It turns on and off. A 3D TV will work fine as a 2D TV as well. You will never have to use the 3D function if you choose not too.

Status
Not open for further replies.