Samsung's new Laptop with Transparent Display

kurt80

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Anybody else heard about this transparent laptop?

4-inch-amoled-transparent-digital-experience_1.jpg

It's a 14" transparent OLED laptop.. How cool is this?!
40% transparency but it's just a prototype. Samsung will probably use this concept in smaller devices first before they use it on actual notebooks. But this type of display suits to be on car windows.. hmm. what do u think?

More info, photos and a video here:
http://www.oled-display.net/video-about-the-world-first-14-inch-transparent-oled-notebook

frozenlead

Distinguished
It's cool...but I don't think notebooks or even car windows are the right application for such a technology. Maybe in a car if it displayed only a few things - like speed and light status - but not much else. The point of a car window is to see the road.

In a notebook, what's behind the screen can be pretty distracting to what's on it.

Sure, it's really cool, but I can't see anything but limited status-type applications for the technology.

G

First the camera with an extra screen on the front for silly F/book girlies to take their own picture with. Now this daft laptop. These Samsung guys have too much time on their hands.

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
3D and OLED display will go into full swing in the next few years, then after that it looks it will be Transparent display.

As for transparent car dashboard, well if it’s placed at the bottom of the screen, it can be used to display GPS directions/traffic or entertainment information.

frozenlead

Distinguished

If it's in the dashboard, there's no point for it being transparent. We can just put a screen we can already make in there.

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009

I meant the screen, wrong wording, thanks.