San Francisco Gives Apple A Cold Shoulder After EPEAT Pullout

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]Highly doubt Apple cares.[/citation]I'm pretty sure Apple does care. Because SF is just the 1st. It will happen again and again, with impact on consumers (who do care about the planet). Most likely this is just a marketing stunt to later say (when they get certified again) "look at our efforts to save the planet".

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
EPEAT was created for a reason.

I think more cities should follow (even tho "municipal purchases" means squat in the bigger picture). They should ban these products all together.

...which raised speculation that the design of future products may not qualify for the EPEAT certification anymore.
39 current Mac models pulled from the EPEAT registry have nothing to do with the future.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Also, 39 models is a big number! That's like every Mac model (MacBook Air/Pro, Mac Mini, Mac Pro and iMac in different storage capacities and configurations) from the last 2-3 years. If these products did not qualify and they advertised them as "green", they should be sued or something. Someone should look into this.

heliocentric_0

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
EPEAT has criteria like "Product longevity/life cycle extension".

I'm pretty sure a company that has started SOLDERING RAM into their products to PREVENT people from being able to upgrade them, couldn't give two sh1ts about being socially responsible, if they can make more money not being.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]39 current Mac models pulled from the EPEAT registry have nothing to do with the future.[/citation]

I'm fairly sure that's pretty much almost or all of their models, as they pulled out their older ones as well.

Considering the fact that Apple has been increasingly making their products harder and harder to repair, I wouldn't be surprised to find a computer that cannot be disassembled at all down the road.

Also, I'd love to see how Apple recycle their own computers...

G

With a $20B deficit in California, perhaps they need to by cheaper computers anyway...

G

So that means that Apple will close their store in Union Square? It is hard for me to see such a store being vacant at such a place. Maybe microsoft could come in and take over as Microsoft stores with a giant windows sticker being slapped on the apple logo.

pcwlai

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
CPU + GPU on the same chip means you cannot replace either part if only either one is faulty. Guess all PC manufacturers should fail the standard by default now?

brizzelsprout

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Of course Apple doesn't care. They have already said they are no longer concerned with the business sector. I mean hell, they are pulling out active directory support from iPads and possibly OSX.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
wow man, people sure do make a mountain out of a mole hill. The only reason Apple has pulled out a EPEAT is because they have designed themselves out with the inability to service the units. Specifically, the new Macbook Pro's are completely unserviceable, which would have gotten them pulled off against their will any way. And since apple is going with this design base across the board, there was little point in remaining. It does not mean they are going to start trashing the environment, it just means they arent in the club that wears the green shirt any more. Apple's products themselves (new macbook pro specifically) are no more harmful to the environment then they used to be.
Besides, if you research the issue, the single largest contributor to environmental impact present in the majority of Apple products is, and always has been the battery. And that is past their control, as the damage is done at the disposal end of the devices life.
As to Apple's new design, from an environmental point of view, manufacturing a device with a single board, is actually a GREENER device than one that is modular**. Since its one board, there is one company assembling the components. This eliminates at least 7 different manufacturers process from the equation, and puts it all in one place (Yes, the chips themselves are still made by others, but the manufacture of silicon based chips is the same for nearly everyone) In theory, Apple could control a greater % of the whole mess, and better control the impact. All of this is in a perfect world of course.
All of this, and if you actually read the requirements of EPEAT, you'd realize that they are largely posturing anyway, and do not really make a big difference in the saving of our environment. Lets also talk about the elephant in the living room: ALL OF THESE THINGS (electronics in general, not just apple) ARE MADE IN CHINA! China has virtually NO regulations (by US and EU standards any way) and to expect those huge manufacturing plants like Foxconn to follow any kind of environmental rules to the extent that it would actually help and still do the job for pennies is just delusional. So, everybody calm the hell down, net effect = ZERO.
(As far as my opinion on Apples new design of a single non upgradable board, I call BS on that. Not a fan, considering I got my 2011 MBP with the base of everything then threw in 16 GB of ram and an SSD for 1/4 the price of having apple do it)

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
It's quite strange considering how close they are that Apple doesn't understand how San Fran works. It will not be just a few thousand. San Fran as a major city has a history of consistently passing laws that force consumers to be environmental. Residents typically back these up gladly so they can feel as if they are better than everyone else for their "forward thinking". The local papers will spin it as "Apple hates the earth and punches polar bears" and the entire city will be boycotting Apple soon.

Even one city aside, Apple fanatics have a superiority complex and will not like having people chuckle at them for not being "green". I doubt this decision would have been made with Jobs still alive. I have a freeling this is a sign of a new post-Jobs era for Apple. I don't foresee it being the golden era they've been enjoying for so long. This company depends on brand image, and this is an image they just tarnished a bit.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]pcwlai[/nom]CPU + GPU on the same chip means you cannot replace either part if only either one is faulty. Guess all PC manufacturers should fail the standard by default now?[/citation]

What about memory controller on CPU? Or L2/L3 cache on CPU? Or northbridge on CPU? Or VRAM on GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.