Satellite L645D-S4033 Boot issue

pstatme

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014
I had an issue with booting on this model laptop. I pressed the power button and the laptop would just make HD noise. I suspected HD failure but after a few tries of Power on/off the laptop gave me a software failure and choices to choose how I wanted to fix this. I followed the system restore feature and picked the oldest restore point the laptop had to choose from.
I was given the " An unspecified error occurred during system restore 0x800700b7" Finally, after 3 different restore points, I got lucky and finally got to the desktop. while waiting for all of this to complete, I took out my ASUS laptop and went surfing for similar threads. I found one that said that Norton AV was conflicting with an update with Windows 7 & 8. I was shocked to see that after the laptop rebooted, it gave me a " Norton Security Suite has encountered an error: Norton Autofix Error: 8504, 104. Another Microsoft Troubleshooter stated that the Norton Suite didn't install correctly.

Now, I can't uninstall Norton's AV suite and the laptop won't connect to the internet. MS's troubleshooter stated that the Norton AV Suite's firewall is blocking the connection. I think I need to look for some Freeware to uninstall software from, like a flash drive or CD/DVD , or wait for everyone to complain hard enough for Norton to post a work around.

I want to let everyone know that you may or may not have this issue. If you do, then there is that chance that you will restore your system. this is not a hardware issue.....

Toshiba has a few proprietary software add-on's that can create a bootable image to an external drive, which will be the first thing that I will do when I get this back to normal.

For those that are thinking:"why not a full system restore?" I have too much to loose with that option.

PLEASE POST anything that will help all of us

Solution
Probably, the only reason it won't uninstall is because it's still running so call up teh Task Manager and click End Process on any Norton related process. In Control Panel>Services, try to stop and then diasable any Norton related Service. It may not allow you to do that so a more brutal approach may be needed.

Go to Norton's website and download the Norton Removal Tool, run it and it will take all th erubbish that comes with Norton out of the system.

When it's all gone, save yourself some money by using the built-in WIndows Defender and download Security Essentials from the Microsoft site and also turn on the Windows Firewall. They all work well together and cost you nothing.
Probably, the only reason it won't uninstall is because it's still running so call up teh Task Manager and click End Process on any Norton related process. In Control Panel>Services, try to stop and then diasable any Norton related Service. It may not allow you to do that so a more brutal approach may be needed.

Go to Norton's website and download the Norton Removal Tool, run it and it will take all th erubbish that comes with Norton out of the system.

When it's all gone, save yourself some money by using the built-in WIndows Defender and download Security Essentials from the Microsoft site and also turn on the Windows Firewall. They all work well together and cost you nothing.

Solution