SATELLITE P25W-C2300-4K: Touchpad "sticks", freezes, refuses to respond

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
While I'm just trying to scroll or move my pointer using the trackpad, my cursor will freeze, disappear, or do some operating it wasn't suppossed to "right-click, zoom, etc)
It's not being disabled at all, because when it freezes, The pad is still recognized as operational and not disabled.
There are no mouse drivers in my Device Manager other than the default HID device, and I cannot find any trackpad drivers on Toshiba's support page either:
http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200010881

What should I do about this? Scannow and checksystemhealth haven't done anything for me either, and I even tried installing a synaptic driver manually from synaptics site, but the operation of my mouse trackpad still hasn't improved.

Very very confused, please help

Solution
I've got the EXACT same problem with my Radius 12 also and after reading the Toshiba site and doing some digging of my own I've come to the conclusion that it's a bad GROUNDING problem with the trackpad, If you can return it to Toshiba then they'll fix it for you but if not (like me who brought it overseas) then you need to open up the machine and either solder on a wire to the motherboards grounding spot/chassis or use some other method to ground the back of the trackpad.

http://www.zachpoff.com/diy-resources/acer-laptop-touchpad-fix/

I've found lots of Acer,Asus and Apple machines with this issue and it's all related to grounding.

bigcat75

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

I did the same thing as Amrullah (grouded the touchpad to the chasis) and my touch pad is now working well. Even things like side scrolling that weren't working before are now working.

Amrullah

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Thanks bigcat75 for the info.

Mine froze after 24 hrs of the previous incident. It happened when I accidentally pressed my laptop. But I can say it is much more reliable and this fix does make a different.

I might need to disassemble it again to fix the solder. The touchpad ground metal is a metal that hard to solder. The cable was not stick reliably to it. I used duct tape to secure the solder. I will also use flux in my next attempt.

I'll post again.

bigcat75

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
I'm still working fine. I'll update tomorrow to let everyone know if the fix lasts longer. So far, no issues. I use this laptop every day, so I will post if I have more issues.

ClearSignal

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for the information on grounding. Our family purchased three Radius 12 computers for Christmas and we've been struggling with the touchpad problem on all three of them (started using a mouse instead).

I tried using a 2x2 inch section of conductive copper tape (used for shielding guitars) to fix the problem. I positioned the lower right corner to cover as much of the metal exposed on the back of the touchpad to the left of the metallic braid as possible. I laid the upper left over the metal above and trimmed the outside edges that weren't over the metal areas (except for the section connecting the two areas). I then removed the backing and applied the tape.

This has been working on the two machines I've tried for two days now and seems to be working well. The fix was easy to apply.

(edited for clarity).

Hananto

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
thanks all
the solution (adding a new ground wire) worked for me.
opening the back cover caused four plastic locks broken btw, but i hope super glue can fix it.

Stuart_13

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016

Thanks ClearSignal. I have done the same thing but using copper slug tape. There are also good disassembly instructions for removing the back of the laptop here: http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/inside-toshiba-satellite-radius-12-disassembly-internal-photos-and-upgrade-options/

ClearSignal

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

There's a lot of conductive adhesive copper foil tape sold for use as a slug barrier among other uses, and as long as it's got that conductive adhesive should work as well. Mine seems to still be working well after several weeks so I'm hoping it's a long term fix.

jmmyz14

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Thanks, I was also having this problem. Kept thinking it was a driver issue since it was intermittent, but after doing research and finding this thread among others, I cracked open the back of the case and grounded the touchpad with some adhesive copper foil. So far so good, the touchpad is working better than it ever has and glides/scrolls smoothly.

Hopefully this is a permanent fix, and it makes this laptop one of the best- with the slight exception of its subpar battery life.

lionel_2

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
Hi everyone,

I got the same PAD problem with toshiba Radius12 4k, bought last week in France.
I realized your trick with ground wire and it's woks fine now, many thanks.

But i got some issues :
Like @Hananto i broke 4 plastic locks, at the opposite side of screen attach, when removing back frame.
I broke 1 plastic lock of the battery, i don't know how.
And welding wire was pretty hard to drop to the back of the touchpad.

Amrullah

Commendable
May 8, 2016
This guy posted how to open the back case

http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/inside-toshiba-satellite-radius-12-disassembly-internal-photos-and-upgrade-options/

Lundis

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016

Hi guys! I wanted you to know this thread was pretty informative. But I have struggled with the proposed solution, so I wanted to ask to those who used copper foil how did they put it (a photo would be amazing!). Since I thought the foil one would be an easier fix, I used some this way http://imgur.com/a/9mfT1.

It worked for a few hours but then it started freezing again. Did I install it wrong?

Thanks in advance.

sam_181

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
Im also having the same problem, and I am thinking of repairing instead of sending it for warranty/repair.

My model is pw20 10K and i am currently using it with a usb mouse. If anyone could detail the exact method of placing the copper tape I would be very grateful, and also how to access the trackpad.

Thanks for all those who have contributed so far.

jmmyz14

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008

I went crazy with the copper tape and put it all over. It was working great for a few months, but just today started acting up again...
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/bosrux5l7chnclz/AADgoQ6Tk5TK_eM--tN8BKGia

Might have to undo it and use more wires.

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013

Don't send it in. I did so, and they just sent it back to me 4 weeks later saying "they didn't have the parts to fix it". Toshiba themselves has no clue or is simply not willing to fix this.
The way I found out how to get to my trackpad was to simply google a teardown video of my laptop model. It only took about 20 minutes to fix.

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013

Likely what happened is the solder didn't hold. I sanded surrounding area of where I soldered to scar up the finish a bit, and that helped the solder stick much better. Just be sure to use some masking tape to stick onto the PC and remove all the metallic dust. nobody needs to have their laptop short circuit.

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013

Likely what happened is the solder didn't hold. I sanded surrounding area of where I soldered to scar up the finish a bit, and that helped the solder stick much better. Just be sure to stick some masking tape onto the area and surrounding area and remove all the metallic dust. Nobody needs to have their laptop short circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS