Satellites Crash in Space, Debris Scatters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazz

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
simple the people involved should clean up there mess and if they carnt then they should pay for there carnidge

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
They need a spacebroom. :)

Seems that any debris that is propelled upwards or accelerated would go into a higher orbit, anything propelled downwards or slowed down would eventually end up in the atmosphere.

They say a collision was inevitable, but consider the 3-dimensional aspect of space and how much of an incredibly large volume it is. I think it is an incredible coincidence of 2 major satellites colliding. Even the odds of a satellite being hit by big pieces of debris seems to be fairly unlikely. OTOH a large piece of metal travelling roughly 5 times the speed of an artillery shell could do some significant damage.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
A vacuum cleaner wouldn't work in space, but I think it's time for a large space magnet. send up a large "satellite" that consists of navigation jets and a large (and massive) permanent magnet. Then, deliberately send it in orbits where either the magnet or it's gravitational attraction will cause it to collect the space junk.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]OTOH a large piece of metal travelling roughly 5 times the speed of an artillery shell could do some significant damage.[/citation]

I was about to say sth similar. They have said that this kind of debris is very dangerous, and they have not yet found a way to remove it. A simple screw could blow up or seriously jeopardize a space mission.

tester3000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Fire a magnet through the debris and send it wizzing into the sun. Lol. Seriously though, polluting space is not a good idea.

G

"I think it's time for a large space magnet." There is very little ferrous metal in a satellite. Of course the most cost effective way to clean this up is to brig the older stuff down before collisions occur. But it is dangerous and expensive, and we pusillanimous humans have the stomach for neither.

ag3nt smith

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
A missile would make a bigger mess. They really do need something to clean it up. I guess that's where all of our tax dollars are going...into space!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]They need a spacebroom. Seems that any debris that is propelled upwards or accelerated would go into a higher orbit, anything propelled downwards or slowed down would eventually end up in the atmosphere.They say a collision was inevitable, but consider the 3-dimensional aspect of space and how much of an incredibly large volume it is. I think it is an incredible coincidence of 2 major satellites colliding. Even the odds of a satellite being hit by big pieces of debris seems to be fairly unlikely. OTOH a large piece of metal travelling roughly 5 times the speed of an artillery shell could do some significant damage.[/citation]

actuallyall teh debris will eventually fall adn get burned up in the atmosphere , the question here is how long will it take before all the majory peices do this

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ag3nt smith[/nom]A missile would make a bigger mess. They really do need something to clean it up. I guess that's where all of our tax dollars are going...into space![/citation]

no i serioiusly doubt that out tax dollars are all going to space , as it is the space program is very very unpopular with the goverment right now , because of the finacial cost as well as the reccent loss of life that occured a couple of years ago. our tax dollars all went to war and the reccent bail out money that bush handed to the oil and car industries, and i for one truthfyully think it would ahve been better spent on space. These corparations screw peopel over every day , and then out goverment hands them more money so they can continue screwing people over ... all the while people complain when the goverment gives a little bit of money to NASA for doing things that just may benifit us all one day. I don't even think Nasa is really seeing ALL the money our goverment claims to give them.

back in the 80's every one talked about how 2005 would be the year that nasa builds a ship for going to mars , and that it would launch by 2010 , but thanks to war and greddy burecrats it now looks as though the dream of a mar landing will never happen at least not in any of our life times.

you hoenstly ask me what is a better way to spend tax money hmm lets see

1. war ... lotta death , we get to kill a lotta arabs that had nothing to do with 9/11, then give money to corerates that already screwed thier companies into a hole, so they can keep screwing their companies up

or option 2

2. space , so we can land on mars adn quite peacefully explore it...

hmmm geee wow i think i will take teh first choice cos it the AMERICAN choice ... don't yopu love teh sound of bombs fallign in the morning :p

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
@ demonhorde665 : What about a third option? Education and social services would be my guess. That way people like you could learn to spell, and those who've got miserable lives could live a bit less miserably.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
It is my understanding that the orbit Kosmos-2251 was in was a graveyard orbit, 800km above surface. Iridium 33 lost controls and wonder off into the graveyard.

This actually felt like a private anti-satellite test. Is Iridium owned by a bold guy with Persian cat?

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Someday we will be trapped on this planet with all the whizzing spacejunk around...any attempts to launch a satellite or a shuttle will get zapped l0l.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
It could all be a clever plot... russian satellite was still secretly in use as spy satellite, US or other gov't agency took control of the iridium satellite and crashed it with purpose of disabling the russian satellite.

Conspiracy theorists unite! lolz jk

Status
Not open for further replies.