Save Your Data: Backup with these Free Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

emad_ramlawi

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
YAY!, i work at Genie9, glad to hear its finally gets the attention that it deserved, thanks tom hardware, for not missing our software, and including it, its really a great backup software that sometimes gets overlooked or is the underdog.

To be brute honest:

I am not a spammer, i had this account since ages in tom hardware site, and have plenty of threads in forums so go look if your interested, i like reading tom hardware, especially there hardware reviews, and cloud videos, and i use Genie Timeline 2012 on daily basis, and its really great software, and works as charm, however it meant to to be a total reliable file backup software, and it works great that way, if you want like backing up your whole drive, you cant go wrong with imaging and using something like CloneZilla, i personally use G4L (Ghost for Linux), and its works great, but if you need a real time backup software, that backs up your important files you cant go wrong with Timeline Pro, which is backup interval is 3mins and not 8 hours.

I really still dont know why clients backup there whole C drive nowadays, from inside windows, it creates alot of conflicts, and anti-virus thinks the backup program is malware, and VSS service gets overloaded, like for the love of god people, you can reinstall Windows, but you cant reinstall your important data, and let me tell you this reinstalling windows 8 is pleasure, no kidding, the installer talkes to you :)

Just my 2 cents

Oh, i work as tech support and abit of QA in genie9, and we will release something really great in a very short while

kelemvor33

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
How do you leave off CrashPlan? Their free service is awesome. Backup to another PC anywhere in the word. They have paid services as well but they are optional.

Have a spare PC? Stash it at a family member or friend's house and use it as your backup. DO the same for them.

pckitty4427

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
[citation][nom]emad_ramlawi[/nom]YAY!, i work at Genie9, glad to hear its finally gets the attention that it deserved, thanks tom hardware, for not missing our software, and including it, its really a great backup software that sometimes gets overlooked or is the underdog.To be brute honest:I am not a spammer, i had this account since ages in tom hardware site, and have plenty of threads in forums so go look if your interested, i like reading tom hardware, especially there hardware reviews, and cloud videos, and i use Genie Timeline 2012 on daily basis, and its really great software, and works as charm, however it meant to to be a total reliable file backup software, and it works great that way, if you want like backing up your whole drive, you cant go wrong with imaging and using something like CloneZilla, i personally use G4L (Ghost for Linux), and its works great, but if you need a real time backup software, that backs up your important files you cant go wrong with Timeline Pro, which is backup interval is 3mins and not 8 hours.I really still dont know why clients backup there whole C drive nowadays, from inside windows, it creates alot of conflicts, and anti-virus thinks the backup program is malware, and VSS service gets overloaded, like for the love of god people, you can reinstall Windows, but you cant reinstall your important data, and let me tell you this reinstalling windows 8 is pleasure, no kidding, the installer talkes to you Just my 2 centsOh, i work as tech support and abit of QA in genie9, and we will release something really great in a very short while[/citation]

Hi

I've been using Genie Timeline for a few weeks now, and I love it. You guys have really done a good job, especially in the UI. It definitely beats all the other backup programs aesthetic-wise.

I also love how I just have to plug in my hard drive and the software does all the work. I don't even have to think about it.

Thanks for a great product.

G

I've been using SyncBack Freeware from 2BrightSparks for a couple of years I guess. I don't know its full capabilities (don't think it can image), but I use it to back up my music collection to an external drive. It's probably not the easiest or prettiest, but I like how much granular control I have over how and what it backs up. You can do a 'backup', or a 'sync' between two locations and/or devices. Once you set up the backup job, it's easy to run it. I most like that it backs up as a straight copy of the files. There isn't any compression and it doesn't back up everything to one proprietary file that you have to use the software to extract from or restore. I can take my HDD somewhere with me and browse the files or move them around without using any software. It's like I manually copied the files, but the software handles the file comparisons and copies files based on my rules. When you run it, it creates a report of the comparisons to tell you what it is going to do and why. For example, it shows files on my external HDD that it will overwrite because the files have been modified on my PC. It will delete files off the external HDD if the files have been deleted from my PC (my choice). It seems to run fairly quickly even though there isn't any compression and it's just doing straight copies.

G

I use Genie at work, it goes well, but what about Areca Backup? It is open source and cross platform, very powerful and configurable, but that sometimes mean it is not the simplest to use. It is my choice for home use.

emad_ramlawi

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
[citation][nom]pckitty4427[/nom]HiI've been using Genie Timeline for a few weeks now, and I love it. You guys have really done a good job, especially in the UI. It definitely beats all the other backup programs aesthetic-wise.I also love how I just have to plug in my hard drive and the software does all the work. I don't even have to think about it.Thanks for a great product.[/citation]

Thanks, your most welcome, please stay tuned to a new product which will get released very shortly, which will be just like Timeline 2012 100% , however it will backup to the cloud (Amazon s3) if you like the cloud stuff, we reckon it will make huge impact and be able to compete with dropbox.

Personally i didn't make the jump for the cloud yet, i am still old school guy and like my data where i can see them (External Drive), however there are many times, where i wished i can access my data, when i am away from my computer, especially when friends and family wants computer repair service :)

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Ever heard of ACRONIS ?
Is better than most of these... and can be used free - just install the trial version and create bootable disk.... with that you can do anything you need to do!

ur_average_joe

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I've been a user of genie timeline pro for a few years now. It works OK - WHEN it works. In my time using it I've had frequent database corruption within the software (their tech support suggests re-install every time), files mysteriously created on the backup drive that have the same name as the backed up file except with digits added to the names (by the thousands which would need to be manually deleted), and issues where it would erroneously report low drive space on the backup drive, when in fact it is not low. This is to name a few problems I've seen.
What is really frustrating is when the database goes, and you have to re-install the software, you lose all your file histories (so much for the brand name 'Timeline').

Also, what is just as bad as a corrupt database is if you need to re-install your OS you cannot export the file histories (timeline) or settings from your previous install. They told me that the OS puts identifiers on the backup unique to the OS it was installed on. Hmm..
They release maintenance updates about twice a year. But they seem to prefer not to tackle the most annoying issues in their updates.

I would give genie timeline pro 4 out of 10 stars.

As a side note, I found this article in my search for a replacement backup solution. Not because I'm having one of the troubles I listed above. It's because this time I'm having a combination of the troubles I listed above!

ur_average_joe

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I've been a user of genie timeline pro for a few years now. It works OK - WHEN it works. In my time using it I've had frequent database corruption within the software (their tech support suggests re-install every time), files mysteriously created on the backup drive that have the same name as the backed up file except with digits added to the names (by the thousands which would need to be manually deleted), and issues where it would erroneously report low drive space on the backup drive, when in fact it is not low. This is to name a few problems I've seen.
What is really frustrating is when the database goes, and you have to re-install the software, you lose all your file histories (so much for the brand name 'Timeline').

Also, what is just as bad as a corrupt database is if you need to re-install your OS you cannot export the file histories (timeline) or settings from your previous install. They told me that the OS puts identifiers on the backup unique to the OS it was installed on. Hmm..
They release maintenance updates about twice a year. But they seem to prefer not to tackle the most annoying issues in their updates.

I would give genie timeline pro 4 out of 10 stars.

As a side note, I found this article in my search for a replacement backup solution. Not because I'm having one of the troubles I listed above. It's because this time I'm having a combination of the troubles I listed above!

Dude604

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
What about Rollback rx, I live by that :D !! I have been using it for 2 years now and it has saved me soo many times.

triple-t

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
How about Syncback free? (2BrightSparks). I use it on severall PC and like it. You can create severall profile's (backup, synchronize, mirror) and the ability to schedule. Possibilty to exclude or include files or directories. So many options

Status
Not open for further replies.