Solved! Saving old Inspiron (power issue)

Mar 15, 2022
Going through the attic I found my old Core 2 Duo Dell Inspiron from around 2009. Since I really like the design I thought I’d see how it works.

The monitor cable is disconnected but maybe can be reinserted. My question is power related. When plugging the power brick into the wall socket, fans immediately start spinning even though I haven’t pressed the power button. This doesn’t stop if I press the power button, not even if I hold it in to restart. Any clues what this might indicate (other than the perhaps obvious that it should just be recycled)?

Solution
Recycle it unless you are looking for a project. A machine that old is unlikely to run any modern version of Windows. From what you describe you have a hardware failure. I doubt you can repair it yourself unless you are experienced with electronics. I have 40 years as an EE and I wouldn't try.....
Recycle it unless you are looking for a project. A machine that old is unlikely to run any modern version of Windows. From what you describe you have a hardware failure. I doubt you can repair it yourself unless you are experienced with electronics. I have 40 years as an EE and I wouldn't try.....

Reactions: askerofdellquestion
Solution