Say What? DRM Scheme Encourages Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
sounds great!! I'm all for DRM that ACTUALLY WORKS! (and by works I mean it doesn't make me think twice about buying the product using it.)

mind you, if it makes all your existing devices obsolete and unable to play the content, thats shit... but I'd be willing to accept it AS LONG AS IT WORKS!

Firehead2k

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
DRM is still DRM, not matter how attractive they think they can make it look.
When I buy something I want to use it where I want, when I want. Asking for permission if I can use it somewhere else is not one of the things I'd be willing to pay for.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
DRM won't be any good unless it is transparent to the end user. We want to use our media how we choose without having to go through any sort of auth process. This may be a small step in the right direction but I still don't like it.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Meh.... to all the people that still don't like this idea: Remeber this, DRM is NOT going entirely away. Even companies that take it off will continue looking for a solution, and this is a step in the right direction.

I just wonder how this will go for other forms of media, especially games. I mean, if I buy a game and want to let my friend try it out, or install it on their computer to show it to them, etc. will this let me do that? Can I also share something virtually (As if I buy something through Steam/Direct2Drive/digital distribution, can I loan it to someone the same way I can a normal disk?)

One thing I see as a problem: what stops large groups from saying everyone is their friend, and creating a huge domain where many people only have to buy things once. Say me and all my 400 facebook buddies share all our music videos. If 50 of us would have downloaded/bought the same video, now we only buy it once, what stops this? (I'm not really talking about close friends sharing, really, I'm talking about hundreds/thousands sharing).

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]daship[/nom]D R MDare me to Rip it Myself.[/citation]

Someone of us just like the feel of rebeling for the hell of it.
Plain and simple, we're told we can't do something, and so we do it.

Rip away, my friends.

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
All the more reason to continue to purchase lossless master discs (CDs), rip and archive then transcode to the latest greatest lossy codec of choice which is compatible with your player.

simonphill

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I think it would be better described as.
"Attempts to discourages sharing, but attempts at a weaker level than most DRM."

DRM = attempt to prevent me sharing with group.
This = attempt to prevent me sharing with anyone.
No DRM = no attempt to prevent me sharing.

In no way does the technology itself (the DRM method) encourage sharing. The distributors may encourage sharing of these files, but it's not the technology doing it, it's the distributor.

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Just realised that this would appear to have the potential to include a kill switch - thus denying *anyone* access to the content should the "system" decide to.

I am sure there will be limitations on just how much you can share content. Just be glad that there is an option to share unlike most DRM. To all who dislike DRM: Perhaps if people would clean up their act we wouldn't have DRM. I am sure that the last thing artists/programmers want is an angry customer. That said, they like pirating/monetary losses even less. Kind of like kicking yourself in the ass people...

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
DRM IS BS !!!!

Irefuse to buy any music ever form any large corporate labels/artists and definately will never ever buy anything from anyone who signs with the RIAA

winglerw28

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Something tells me there are going to be a lot of families that are big... like 10,000 people or so. They may or may not be related, who knows. All I know is that they all use bittorrent.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The biggest problem with DRM is end-of-life. I bought my first CD over 15 years ago, and it still plays in my CD player. Anyone who bought songs from Yahoo Music only a couple years ago already lost the ability to play those songs (even if they did get a refund).

Simple fact of the matter is, not only do the companies decide where and how you can play the music, they decide how long you own it too. If Apple shut-down its servers tomorrow, billions of still-DRM protected songs will cease to play. Look at Amazon, they just pulled two books from thousands of Kindles with no warning what so ever. It can and will happen again, and because of legally-questionable EULA's, the user is powerless to do anything other than stop patronizing companies that continue to support and develop these greedy DRM schemes.

dainsane1

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
good concept but... ya no no no

i can not go along with a scheme that requires any software to run in the background on any of my devices. much less anything that is going to talk back to someone and then fail when the company goes belly up and all content is then locked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.