Scammers Take to eBay to Distribute Malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

FUtomNOreg

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
One question - Is it safe to just connect and format?

If it's not I see a market for a program to format "untrusted" devices safely, that is unless they start modding firmware....

techseven

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Oh my, yet another burst of fuel for virus/malware-paranoia... "Watch out - you can get a virus off Tom's forums! It is theoretically possible...(not)"

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]techseven[/nom]Oh my, yet another burst of fuel for virus/malware-paranoia... "Watch out - you can get a virus off Tom's forums! It is theoretically possible...(not)"[/citation]
It's possible. Depending on how Tom's selects it's ads, a company could easily use an ad to spread malware. But that's beside the point.

G

[citation][nom]FUtomNOreg[/nom]One question - Is it safe to just connect and format?[/citation]
Just make sure that "ALL" AutoRun settings are set to Always Ask and that your Anti-Virus is configured to scan Removeable Drives.

This way the risk of something accidentally getting through before you can check to see what is present will be reduced, whether it be a flash drive, an ipod, a camera or something else.

techseven

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
It's possible. Depending on how Tom's selects it's ads, a company could easily use an ad to spread malware. But that's beside the point.

I am just venting because some friends of mine always suspect viruses are the cause of every computer related problem they have...

G

[citation][nom]techseven[/nom]I am just venting because some friends of mine always suspect viruses are the cause of every computer related problem they have...[/citation]
Surfing and downloading habits could play a big part in that.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Why haven't you linked us to the forum Tom?

She probably didn't Format it because it had free music on it. Easy way to prevent the device from getting Formatted is to put good music on it from every genre so that they new owner wont Format it immediately.

G

i can't tell how much i saw something like this coming. i personally never buy used electronics because stuff like this happens all too often. And with my luck....

idlerp

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Easiest fix: Don't run Windows. Plenty of other (better) operating systems to choose from.[/citation]

As of right now there is no better operating system for the average consumer than Windows. This coming from a Linux user, it's still not ready for mainstream consumption. Tell the average user that he has to add a module and recompile a kernel to make his Wifi card work and they would crap their pants. Then there is the OSX argument, but the average consumer doesn't want to pay a $600 premium on last gen hardware for a logo and pretty interface.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]idlerp[/nom]Tell the average user that he has to add a module and recompile a kernel to make his Wifi card work and they would crap their pants.[/citation]

Linux user my ass. When have you ever need to recompile the kernal to get WiFi working? Oh wait that's right, you didn't have to, because you're bull****ting. If you're only interested in Web browsing Ubuntu will do the job. It's not really a full fledge linux experience from a lean customization stand point, but it's better than attempting to teach ignorant windows users how not to get their computer raped.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]My first thought would have been iTunes, but I suppose its not in this case...[/citation]
yeah...it does that
stupid P4s at home are intensely slow with 13gb music, and another 3gb movies trying to open..LOL

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
[citation][nom]FUtomNOreg[/nom]One question - Is it safe to just connect and format?If it's not I see a market for a program to format "untrusted" devices safely, that is unless they start modding firmware....[/citation]
basically, it's all depending on the "Autorun" feature that comes with windows, once a device is plug into the pc OR in case the "Autorun" was disabled by the user, curiosity if you know what I mean ^_^

I disabled the "Autorun" and check the contents of each device I plug using the command prompt... If I see some malicious code I delete both the Autorun.inf and the executable file...

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]idlerp[/nom]As of right now there is no better operating system for the average consumer than Windows. This coming from a Linux user, it's still not ready for mainstream consumption. Tell the average user that he has to add a module and recompile a kernel to make his Wifi card work and they would crap their pants. Then there is the OSX argument, but the average consumer doesn't want to pay a $600 premium on last gen hardware for a logo and pretty interface.[/citation]

What Distro have you been using? There is no need for anybody to load a module and recompile squat to get Wi-Fi to work, in most Distro's it is set up automatically and if not it's set up using a GUI driven tool. As to the average user, they use what they are given and they cope. The average user is not as stupid as you think and if they were presented with a Linux PC they would cope and get on with it. Virus free of course.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]techseven[/nom]Oh my, yet another burst of fuel for virus/malware-paranoia... "Watch out - you can get a virus off Tom's forums! It is theoretically possible...(not)"[/citation]
FYI there was a ad server that was spreading(trying to) malware on Toms a while back. FireFox + NoScript + AdBlockPlus = WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.