School Installs Facial Recognition Tech for Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
"There is no need for schools to hold such sensitive information about their pupils. Such systems have limited benefits yet are wide open to abuse – from the risk of data theft to misuse by unscrupulous individuals."
Yep.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
here are bunch of questions:

1)Is there an actual benefit to student's health and performance to enforce such disciplinary measures?

2)If yes, is there an alternative way of doing this?

3)Who will be monitoring the other end of these devices? Who will be held responsible in case of misuse? (another case of school webcam?)

biao39

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Roll call takes less than a minute for a class of 30 in my school. It also helps teacher to learn students' name in the beginning of school year. How long does it take to scan 30 students? My school don't even have money for supplies like pencils and paper. They may need to rethink their target audience.

G

I bet the Teacher unions got that shit pushed through. Now they do not even have to learn the names when they babysit for an hour.

veryed

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Next it will be body scanners and RFID chips.[/citation]

I saw an article not too long ago about some schools already testing out the RFID chips to track students in the school.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i can see this being hacked by some nerd at every college to link to HOTorNOT.com
i would like that to be soon before i enroll for refresher courses in the near future.

as for attendance taking, i guess this beats swiping the attendace book from the principals office a couple times a year as you can now just have your friend/girl friend hold up a photograph to the scanner!

as for any privacy issues i've had my picture on my student ID since i was in highschool decades ago and attendance records were kept since i was in kindergarten so not only did they know where i was, and what i looked like, they had my name and classes and books i checked out, what i ate, since it was used also as your library card and lunch card.

just sayin..this isn't anything new or that isn't already used. everybody's got a yearbook with far more information about you in it.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]teknic111[/nom]Brittan is certainly a leader in the implementation of big brother technology. How do the citizens stand for this?[/citation]

They dont have guns... You can impose anything on them, they cant do anything about it even if they wanted to.

xjchcxx

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
they're worried about schools knowing if students are in school or not? how is that sensitive info? They already know that.. it's just not done digitally at the moment... these kids all probably check in at school on facebook/ foursquare anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.