school laptop recommendations!!!

Mao____

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
I am currently trying to get a computer that is going to last me through the remaining 2 years of college and hopefully into grad school. I am currently looking at these computers could someone give me a recommendation on what I should do. Or if you have something else you would recommend please let me know. This computer will be mainly for SCHOOL, not much for the game or anything else.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/compare?ocs=dncwkd016s,dncwxa1422s2,fncwlf405sv2,dncwxb1656s

Solution
The Inspiron 15 would probably be fine for just school work. A tad expensive, but it should last a while.

XPS 15 offers the most performance here, but likely a shorter battery life due to the higher wattage CPU.

The XPS 13 is the most portable, but also the worst performance.

The XPS 15 2 in 1 is going to be a decent processor and a good drive, but the most expensive.

Really though, if you only need it to last 4 years or so, then maybe look at some i5s. Unless you are doing a lot of CPU intensive work.

2sidedpolygon

Proper
Jul 1, 2018
It's hard to go wrong with the Huawei MateBook X Pro. The i5 version is $1,200 with the i7 version coming in at $1,500. It excels in essentially every category, and is extremely light and powerful. It's a fantastic machine and its portability will be a good fit for your use case. I'd recommend the i7 version, but both have an SSD, so you'll get a snappy experience on either.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
The Inspiron 15 would probably be fine for just school work. A tad expensive, but it should last a while.

XPS 15 offers the most performance here, but likely a shorter battery life due to the higher wattage CPU.

The XPS 13 is the most portable, but also the worst performance.

The XPS 15 2 in 1 is going to be a decent processor and a good drive, but the most expensive.

Really though, if you only need it to last 4 years or so, then maybe look at some i5s. Unless you are doing a lot of CPU intensive work.

Solution

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I'd recommend anything with an SSD mainly for reliability over speed. If you use it at night, in the dark, in front of tv, etc... you might like a backlit keyboard.

Those Dells are pretty high end. If your budget is that high check out Sager. https://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php

Clevo is a company that makes a blank notebook chasis with video, motherboard, screen. You basically add the CPU, RAM, hard drive and configure the OS for sale. Sager is one company that sells Clevo based notebooks and are one of the best and well known. It's all high end parts, they stress test each machine before shipping it out to you, and their after sales service and warranty is top notch. Clevo is the best, and Sager is one of if not the best saller of Clevo based notebooks.

If I wasn't getting a Sager, I would definitely look into an Asus notebook. Also seeing how laptops aren't really upgradable or repairable, I always recommend an extended warranty. Your spending big bucks to get a nice portable laptop and the worst thing that could happen is something breaks and you can't fix it. It's not like the desktop where you can just replace a piece. Your paying big time for the portability, better insure that investment.

Some companies have bloatware or customized windows interfaces or addons. I hate this stuff and prefer a virgin original copy of Windows with no fancy addons. Basically a plain old generic laptop with no manufacturer ads and apps. HP is known for this stuff. At least with a Clevo you know it's just a plain old version of Windows 10 on there.

Also from experience over the past 20 years I can tell you that I have personally seen the best reliability with Clevo based notebooks.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I just priced a Sager NP5856 with the same specs as the Dell XPS 15. I7 8750-H CPU, 16GB RAM, Nvidia 1050Ti, and a 250GB Samsung EVO SSD. $1153 compared to $1500 for the Dell and the Sager is a better machine. You can customize the Sager with any hard drive or RAM you want. Or choose a different model with a different video card or screen size.

Also do not choose a 4K screen. Writing will be so small you'll need to scale it and do 125% just to see things in windows. With games the performance will also be very bad at 4k. 1080p is all you want on a 15 or 17" screen.