Science Project Causes Bomb Scare, Evacuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
When I was a kid it was very common for my brother to cook up high explosives and it was just passed off as "boys being boys." It is sad that part of American life has been completely destroyed by fear.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
If the device was harmless then lots of people need to apologize to the student and his family.

There are some things I don't understand though- did the device look dangerous? Did someone ask the student what was in it and what it did? Is the Vice Principal an idiot? Is the Vice Principal looking for a new job?

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
In other news: An 11-year-old was jailed for showing off his custom mini-itx backpack computer by the NSA under the impression that he might have been involved with the Iranian Cyber Army...

This is stupid. Gatorade bottle and wires? Really?!?!

G

Click on the link and read the original news article.

It seems that the Principal of the Tech School knows so little that he couldn't tell that the electronic device was harmless. The whole thing was blown out of proportion.

The family ought to sue the school for having an idiot for a principal.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
"The student violated school policies, but there was no criminal intent, Luque said."

What school policies? Bringing in and showing the science project you made for school is not allowed?

Why didn't they ask him what it was supposed to be before starting this stupid riot? If they had and he would have told them it's a motion sensor, there would have been no reason for them to think it could explode.

When I was in elementary school we had to bring wires and batteries for science class as a requirement and no one called in the bomb squad for that (though to be fair, if a student were to leave this unattended in the yard or something, they might have).

G

Counseling? Its a technology school and they think he needs counseling for taking the initiative to experiment in technical projects? They should be praising his initiative.

This world is going to hell fast.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
"project was made of an empty half-liter Gatorade bottle with some wires and other electrical components attached. There was no substance inside."

Wasn't the Vice Principal/teacher supposed to talk to the student to see what it is first?

unless they had enough to believe the student was lying, they have set up a very bad example to treat every student as a potenial criminal...

This is a very sad news.... fail of our education system... >_

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
man, take these insane paranoid Idiots away.

I don't want my kids, when I get some, anywhere Near people like this.
Are these Really the teachers we want educating the next generation...?

And ever after the event:
"but authorities recommended that he and his parents get counseling"

...don't even get me started on that storey about the little girls sending pics of themselves to each other... >_<

Hmm.... must have gotten outta the wrong side of bed a few weeks back and slipped into a Nutz dimension somehow :s

I wanna go home LMAO

G

I hope to GOD that Good Morning America picks up on this and does an entire segment on this story.

If they do, it'll embarrass the entire school district for being so stupid and for having mistreated both the student and his family.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
what is it with these crazy insane paranoid people!?!?

Are these Really the teachers we want educating our next generation of children - arguably The Most important job in the World!

According Sign On San Diego, the student will not be prosecuted, but authorities recommended that he and his parents get counselling.

...?

and Don't even get me started on the fools allowing the "issue?" of the little girls sending a few pictures of themselves to each other >_<

What happened... did I get out of bed the wrong side a few weeks back and somehow slip into a Nutz dimension :heink:

I wanna go home LMAO

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
sorry about the duplicate kinda post - something odd going on here tonight LOL

1st one didn't show up even after multiple refreshes...

homerhellboy223

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
[citation][nom]tjhva[/nom]I hope they receive that counseling soon....[/citation]
Fuck you. Kids should be able to express their creativity and ingenuity without facing shit like this. I swear, before we know it people will get counseling for being normal and become paranoid about living normal lives. Counseling has it's place, but is not the solution to all problems, People.

Jackalope73

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
[citation][nom]homerhellboy223[/nom]Fuck you. Kids should be able to express their creativity and ingenuity without facing shit like this. I swear, before we know it people will get counseling for being normal and become paranoid about living normal lives. Counseling has it's place, but is not the solution to all problems, People.[/citation] With you all the way, a little to "Harrison Bergeron" for me.

Jackalope73

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Franklin's Contributions to the Conference on February 17 (III) Fri, Feb 17, 1775

lolsir

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
lol his parents prolly thought that thier kid was gona get so many praises and he would be the next enientein but it turned out to be an epic fail and instead they now need counlsing lmao..thats why i say fuk education

Status
Not open for further replies.