Scientists Discover Strong Magnetic Effect Of Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]And I got so excited for a moment...[/citation]
Same. It's still feasible that it could change the face of renewable electricity though, since this is at its earliest stages of infancy.

JerseyFirefighter

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Why cant we install lightening rods connected to large capacitors, and if your rod gets hit by lightening, your capacitor fills up with energy to store and you win the electric supply lottery until it runs out. Im about to make millions on lightening rod installation = )

G

@JerseyFirefighter

because lightning storms are neither stationary or predictable, but if we could, storm chasing could well be a become a real occupation

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
can't wait for these research to have day-to-day real applications!

@JerseyFirefighter, i don't think there's a capacitor big enough to handle that much power.

jaksun5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Man for a tech site you guys are getting *punished* by these ads. I don't see them on any other website comments, just yours. It's a blight on an otherwise great site...

Oh and my panels are already over 17% efficiency.. and they're mainstream.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]StromChasing[/nom]@JerseyFirefighter because lightning storms are neither stationary or predictable, but if we could, storm chasing could well be a become a real occupation[/citation]
[citation][nom]JerseyFirefighter[/nom]Why cant we install lightening rods connected to large capacitors, and if your rod gets hit by lightening, your capacitor fills up with energy to store and you win the electric supply lottery until it runs out. Im about to make millions on lightening rod installation = )[/citation]
And there is the issue of safety.....in order to have an appreciable charge stored in the capacitor it would be extremely dangerous.....

Also capacitors hold their charge for seconds at best....for the largest ones.....

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
"Also capacitors hold their charge for seconds at best....for the largest ones....."

You're rather ignorant of the properties of capacitors, then.

Actually, the big ones are capable of holding a charge for a couple days after being shut down.
You know, the big ones, like those on induction furnaces, that could blow you to smithereens if you bridged the connection. Those ones.

That's why, in fact, that even consumer electronics with capacitors (e.x. power supplies) are a bit dangerous to work on if the capacitors don't bleed.

Capacitors are great at outputting all their potential really really fast. That's why they haven't replaced batteries, but come in alongside them, in, say, electric vehicles. The capacitor gives it the power it needs for acceleration, and the batteries keep it charged and keep the vehicle at a constant speed.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]JerseyFirefighter[/nom]Why cant we install lightening rods connected to large capacitors, and if your rod gets hit by lightening, your capacitor fills up with energy to store and you win the electric supply lottery until it runs out. Im about to make millions on lightening rod installation = )[/citation]

There's lots of work being done on this right now. It's still pretty much impossible to build a capacitor that could hold that amount of energy - and still be able to absorb it all in such a short time.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]And there is the issue of safety.....in order to have an appreciable charge stored in the capacitor it would be extremely dangerous.....Also capacitors hold their charge for seconds at best....for the largest ones.....[/citation]
Very wrong..My boss always told me to be verrrry cautious at work around large capacitors that are brought to us for recycle as they can hold a deadly charge for up to a couple months. capacitors are definitely capable of holding their charge for a long time if they're left undisturbed. But i could see the issue in trying to absorb the power of lightning. With the scientists we have these days though, I dont see it being an issue for too long if they truly want such a technology.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I think the news about the superposition discovery was more exciting (teleported Schrodinger's cat). We might just see an implementation of Shor's alogorithm in the near future.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
The earth and sky IS A CAPACITOR. Lightning is the discharge of that capacitor. To capture the power of lightning, one would need to transfer the "charge" from the earth-capacitor to a man made capacitor BEFORE the lightning strikes. The tricky part is that the earth-capacitor has no terminals.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
If thats only 10% efficient-How efficient is solar conversion people are using with large disc reflectors that heat up a steam engine to create power?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
So a method that has only just begun is already as efficient as methods that have been around for decades.

So give it 10 years and a couple of these on the roof will power the whole house.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
All this crap is just to please the populists and the environmentalists. The real stuff will happen as usual on subatomic level! :D

The nuclear fusion will power the world not that kind of glass installing, landscape polluting low tech that requires an enormous amounts of raw materials just to heat up your cup of coffee.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]gto127[/nom]If that's only 10% efficient-How efficient is solar conversion people are using with large disc reflectors that heat up a steam engine to create power?[/citation]
Electricity itself is a very inefficient source of power since it is a second generation energy(made from another form of energy). Generally as technologies mature they get more efficient. I would expect the same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.