Scientists Find Networks Can Get Schizophrenic

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
This is horrible news. We have just proven that once someone actually manages to program a self learning AI that at some point of learning everything about everything its going to go insane. Hello skynet.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
So this system claimed responsibility for a terrorist bombing, what about the world financial crisis and global warming is this system responsible for these too?

terastac

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
so if we teach a schizo brain and do this a different way like teach it new stuff everytime rather than repetative moron learning it will eventualy become einstein becuase it will learn massive amounts of information and eventually become sentient. Is it not "funny" that people at university cramming for exams become schizo and when we find out and every doctor I have heard say its always the smart ones that are really good at remembering things that end up this way that should be taught faster and maybe a new einstein emerges I know been in a repetative loop my self does lead to some wierd stuff if you cant work your way out of it

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Computer networks != neural networks

The scientists were not talking about networks like ethernet or Wifi. Neural networks are a computer science topic, similar to how data structures and algoritms are computer science topic.

sipmarton

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
A terrible choice of title, I wonder if the author knows anything about neural networks. If so, why talk about them as computer networks, when the two have very little in common, like lathe26 pointed out.

bit_user

Distinguished
Herald
Jan 20, 2010
lathe26 and sipmarton are correct. This is referring to Neural Networks, as stated in a quote buried in article. A neural network is a machine learning technique that's loosely patterned after the way neurons collaborate to process information and learn.

From what it says, I think all they did was build a neural net to do text processing & recall. Then, they tinkered with some constants and observed effects analogous to what happens when equivalent constants are changed in a human brain. Nowhere does it say that the neural net was sophisticated enough to have any degree of comprehension of the text.

This work is interesting simply because it suggests that we may be able to use computer models to analyze certain psychological conditions. That's it. It really isn't telling us anything about machine intelligence. Nor did Watson, while I'm on the subject.

bit_user

Distinguished
Herald
Jan 20, 2010
P.S. you guys really need to do a little more homework, when you report on these kinds of things. The potential for confusion and misunderstanding is so huge that you're better off not covering them than doing it poorly.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Two comments, first of all this article is very badly written. Secondly, the title should note that these are NEURAL networks. These have little relation to regular computer networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.