Question Screen flicker after BIOS update

Mar 26, 2020
I am trying to understand if I am having a hardware issue or a display driver issue. I have a Lenovo Yoga 730 ideapad laptop running on Windows 10.

A few months ago I started having screen flickering after installing the Lenovo Vantage update. (no other updates were installed around that time). Online research pointed me to removing the back and checking the display cables (they seemed fine) and removing/reinstalling the display adapter (Intel UHD Graphics 620). A consultation with Geek Squad said I could do this without going into Safe Mode, and it actually worked. I had no screen flicker after the display adapter fix.

Fast forward to two days ago. Without thinking, I updated the BIOS per a system prompt. Immediately the screen flicker was back, worse than ever. I can sometimes get it to stop temporarily by adjusting the position of the screen, but that seems coincidental to me. I have an external monitor attached and experience no flicker issues on it.

I called Lenovo support and worked through their troubleshooting, including a 30-second hold on the power key and using the Novo button to access the boot menu. After the initial 30 second reboot, the screen flicker subsided significantly. But when trying to get into the boot menu to start in safe mode the screen flickers non-stop, to the point that I cannot see anything on the screen and therefore cannot proceed to start it in safe mode.

Lenovo support concluded it must be a hardware issue.

I am looking for other opinions or advice on how I can resolve my issue. Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 7
hpramos Laptop Tech Support 1
heybrian Laptop Tech Support 2
Ma764281 Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1
Menntos Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 5
Markou10 Laptop Tech Support 13
R Laptop Tech Support 1