Question Screen goes black for a second after turning on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous_12

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2016
Hi,
I know there's similar issues being posted earlier, but I couldn't find the solution to mine specifically.
I'm using ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR III (G531GV-DB76) 15.6" 240Hz (3ms) Full HD IPS-Level (100% sRGB) Gaming Laptop w / RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 (Core i7-9750H)
Ref: https://www.excaliberpc.com/700327/asus-rog-strix-scar-iii.html

What happens is, every time I switch the laptop on and login, the screen goes blank/black for a second after a few seconds of usage and then returns back to normal. This happens only once during this process but it hasn't stopped since months and is a bother in the long term so I'm asking for help here.
I am fairly careful with my laptop and I feel its been lagging as well, especially right after I turn it on which was not the case earlier. Its fairly new and I use it like a basic user would. I do not keep applications on in the background. I keep my drivers updated through Iobit driver booster(which might be associated with my blank screen issue?) and the windows also stays updated. I'm also skeptic about the "antimalware service executable" that keeps running in the background and refuses to end manually. While I know its part of built in antivirus, these "antivirus" things have given me more trouble than could ever be of help.
So I have a blank screen after turning on for a second, around a second of lag when I open google chrome, and perform any other such operations

Reactions: Sahil Surve
That "antimalware service executable " is from Windows Defender, which came with the Windows system on your computer. So that is likely not the problem.

However, anytime you install things, download things, update things, more and more gets added to the computer and more can get added to the startup sequence. Which you won't see in the "Startup" folder on the computer as well many programs you install run them automatically without telling you.

A way to check this is to go to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quotes).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not just go messing around in this program as you can do way more harm than good if you change the wrong thing. So you have been warned.

Go to the "Startup" tab and look for programs that are starting up things as Windows loads. Which can add to the load time. Be very careful of what you uncheck in here and make sure you know what program it is before doing so. If you are not sure what the program is for, then do a search for it online.

Also, programs you have even uninstalled can leave parts in there trying to run at start up (which makes no sense but it happens) which can cause issues as well.

Once you are done save the changes and it should prompt you to reboot the computer.

Anonymous_12

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2016
That "antimalware service executable " is from Windows Defender, which came with the Windows system on your computer. So that is likely not the problem.

However, anytime you install things, download things, update things, more and more gets added to the computer and more can get added to the startup sequence. Which you won't see in the "Startup" folder on the computer as well many programs you install run them automatically without telling you.

A way to check this is to go to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quotes).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not just go messing around in this program as you can do way more harm than good if you change the wrong thing. So you have been warned.

Go to the "Startup" tab and look for programs that are starting up things as Windows loads. Which can add to the load time. Be very careful of what you uncheck in here and make sure you know what program it is before doing so. If you are not sure what the program is for, then do a search for it online.

Also, programs you have even uninstalled can leave parts in there trying to run at start up (which makes no sense but it happens) which can cause issues as well.

Once you are done save the changes and it should prompt you to reboot the computer.
the startup option in msconfig leads me to the regular ones in task manager and i have already looked into that,
I have enabled, ACMON, Aura Core Listener and internet download manager. Its still laggy wth the black screen issue on startup. Should I opt for reset as a last resort?

Try starting up in "Safe Mode" and see if it takes a long time as well. If not, then it is something going on that is loading when you head into Windows that can't load in "Safe Mode". I would then do some serious deep virus and also malware scans (they are not the same). Doing a full on system restore, which will wipe everything, I would save as a last resort. And make sure you have all your stuff backed up before doing so. Somewhere off the the computer.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Anonymous_12

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2016
Try starting up in "Safe Mode" and see if it takes a long time as well. If not, then it is something going on that is loading when you head into Windows that can't load in "Safe Mode". I would then do some serious deep virus and also malware scans (they are not the same). Doing a full on system restore, which will wipe everything, I would save as a last resort. And make sure you have all your stuff backed up before doing so. Somewhere off the the computer.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.
Safe Mode loads up fast and does not give me the black screen issue either. I ran some scans from Avast but nothing came up. I used a software called autoruns that does show everything starting up but i cant find which exactly is causing the problem.

Anonymous_12

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2016
Safe Mode loads up fast and does not give me the black screen issue either. I ran some scans from Avast but nothing came up. I used a software called autoruns that does show everything starting up but i cant find which exactly is causing the problem.
I uninstalled Nvidea Graphics Driver and its booting faster now without any black screen but its still not enough. i am not sure if i do need these nvidia stuff in the first place.
image 1
image 2

If it is loading fine, without the Nvidia stuff installed, it may well be the GPU that is the problem. The external monitor may use the integrated graphics, which is also what "Safe Mode" uses. If that is the case, then your GPU may need replacing.

Also, Avast scans for viruses but the standard one doesn't scan for malware. Which is totally different. So I would suggest having a program for scanning that as well.

Anonymous_12

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2016
If it is loading fine, without the Nvidia stuff installed, it may well be the GPU that is the problem. The external monitor may use the integrated graphics, which is also what "Safe Mode" uses. If that is the case, then your GPU may need replacing.

Also, Avast scans for viruses but the standard one doesn't scan for malware. Which is totally different. So I would suggest having a program for scanning that as well.
I did a malware scan as well. Found three which i quarantined although i dont think they were related. I have noticed that this black screen thing does not happen when i start laptop in turbo mode(when its plugged in). The boot up black screen is the same as the switch that happens when i plug in or out.

The screen going black for a moment during booting isn't usually an issue. It can be common when some things are loading. Unless it lasts a long while or interferes with Windows loading. The same could be said for when loading certain programs/games.

The screen going black in Windows, when not doing anything would be something else.

At this point I would suggest having it looked at.

Reactions: Anonymous_12
Apr 9, 2021
Hi!!! I don't know if you will read this message. I used to have the same issue. Infact I just(literally) figured out why mine was lagging. So I did a stupid thing experimenting the laptop from the start. So there is a button my laptop on FX505 GT which has a project option on F9. So I pressed fn + F9 and selected multiple things and it started working lag free. I am so happy I figured it how. Please comment back and tell me if it works for you. I hope it works for you as well.

Thanks and regards
SS

Reactions: Anonymous_12
Status
Not open for further replies.