Screen going black while gaming - Checked the usual suspects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boexl

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
Recently my laptop has been freezing up while gaming(and only gaming), giving me a black screen and hard restart/shutdown. I have monitored on HWMonitor the temperature of my GPUs and CPU, but both stay within boundaries that I searched on the internet. They do not even reach the top end.

Through trial and error, I have noted a few things that allow me to halt/stall the black screen:
- having my computer unplugged: in my mind either (1) means new power supply(100+$ from searching) or (2) the computer being plugged in allows the GPUs enough power to do whatever is causing the freeze.
- While at work it did not go to the black screen while gaming on my break

Before I spend $100+ on a new power supply, is there anything else I should look into as the problem?

Update: I used FurMark gpu stress test and cpu burn to try and isolate if it was a heat issue, but could not get the computer to go to its black screen of doom. I have tried a few different games and continue to get the crash quite reliably, despite having cleaned out the fans and vents etc inside. It does not appear to be a heat issue.

Solution

chk your video settings if you use amd then you should have...

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
How long have you had it?

Pay someone to do a thorough cleaning of the system, inside and out if its no longer under warranty, or:

Get yourself any empty egg carton. Use it to store the screws. Start taking it apart. Thorough cleaning and new thermal interface material for your CPU and GPU could help.

When you unplug the charger, the system recognizes that its running on batteries, and uses whatever power profile is set up for battery use. In other words, its more aggressively throttling itself to save power.

Boexl

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014

I have had it for two years, already opened it up and cleaned out the dust, etc. Removed the fans, and cleaned the radiators. It still does the crash.

HDMI703

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014

chk your video settings if you use amd then you should have power opsions i had them turned to save battery and it did same as you changing it to max oerformace may help but if you have nvidia then i cant help because i dont have laptop with nvidia graohics but i have ektop with nvidia graphics

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.