Screen is purple and ghosting/fading on laptop

TrueHighScore

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
I left my ASUS 2 in 1 laptop on overnight by accident when I went to bed. Battery ran out, etc. Once in a while I'd let it run out, so it's not too unusual.

When I turned on my laptop this morning, however, my ASUS logo was all pink/purple. When it went to the float screen, everything had a purple tint. After logging on, EVERYTHING had a purple tint. When I accessed Chrome to troubleshoot the issue (then X'ed out), some sort of transparent ghosting was happening. It has not been dropped or cracked whatsoever.

My touch screen works fine, however. This is a relatively new PC (2 years old) and have had no major issues with it, let alone ones like this. I tried restarting but to no avail. I'm at work at the moment but when I get home I can try some solutions you guys recommend.

I haven't system restored or anything (or reinstalled Windows).

Any thoughts? I suspect it MIGHT be videocard/motherboard related.

Solution
It could be the graphics card. It could also be the ribbon cable or just drivers. Or it could be the whole display.

First I would try testing it with an external monitor. This will let you know if it is the card or not. While the laptop is off, connect the external monitor. Next turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop. If the screen looks normal, then you know the card is fine. However, if the same problem occurs on the external monitor then it is probably the graphics card.

If the external monitor doesn't also have the problem, then try updating the drivers, and checking the cable inside. Make sure that it isn't bent, torn, pinched, dislodged, etc. If none of that is the problem, you probably need a new display.
It could be the graphics card. It could also be the ribbon cable or just drivers. Or it could be the whole display.

First I would try testing it with an external monitor. This will let you know if it is the card or not. While the laptop is off, connect the external monitor. Next turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop. If the screen looks normal, then you know the card is fine. However, if the same problem occurs on the external monitor then it is probably the graphics card.

If the external monitor doesn't also have the problem, then try updating the drivers, and checking the cable inside. Make sure that it isn't bent, torn, pinched, dislodged, etc. If none of that is the problem, you probably need a new display.

Solution