Screen of dell laptop jumps ( oscillate up and down )

Rahulp1

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
I have dell inspiron 3520. since last evening the screen of laptop is jumping up and down .

the trouble shoting steps that i have taken

1. I have put the laptop in safe mode, booted it in safe mode, still the problem persists.

2. I have done the sfc/ scannow commands which checks for corrupt files . no corrupt files found .

3. Have done virus scan by windows defender and malware scan by malwarebytes anti malware. no virus or malwares found .

Is this a hardware issue ? do i need to replace the screen ? can i get it repaired without replacing it ( as replacing might prove expensive )

thanks

Solution
Try this....

1. Turn off the laptop.
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

Can you see the screen fine on the external monitor or is it still 'jumping' around?

If it shows fine on the external monitor then the problem lies with in the original display. First I would check the ribbon cable inside. It connects the display. Make sure it isn't bent, pinched, loose, etc. If that doesn't do it, then the display itself may need replacing.

If the problem also shows on the external monitor, then it is probably the graphics card that needs replacing.
Try this....

1. Turn off the laptop.
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

Can you see the screen fine on the external monitor or is it still 'jumping' around?

If it shows fine on the external monitor then the problem lies with in the original display. First I would check the ribbon cable inside. It connects the display. Make sure it isn't bent, pinched, loose, etc. If that doesn't do it, then the display itself may need replacing.

If the problem also shows on the external monitor, then it is probably the graphics card that needs replacing.

Solution