Screen tearing and choppy gameplay on new Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Model 7559

shp0590

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
Playing games in a nightmare on this device. I updated all the drivers including CPU, On-board Intel 530 HD drivers, and Nvidia GTX 960M drivers. However, playing FPS games like Portal 2, CS:GO, and Left 4 Dead 2 the game has significant choppy gameplay and screen tearing.

Everytime I move the camera the pixels on the screen overlap on each other and the quality is terrible. This is unplayable to play fast-paced shooters like Counter Strike. Please help me I just got this laptop today and I need a fix on how to fix this issue.... could this be a screen-related or is it a graphics card video problem?

Here is a link to a YouTube video that I recorded with my phone which shows the terrible screen tearing even w/ 100+FPS
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe1kK4vW8fM&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

It sounds like the device you got is not capable of what you are wanting out of it. Not all laptops or GPUs are equal. If this is the case, your only options are 1. return it and get a device that is capable of doing what you want and 2. upgrade the graphics card (if it can be upgraded on that device).

shp0590

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
The thing is I've watched YouTube videos of people playing with the exact same laptop and model # and their gameplay seems fine. This seems like an issue with this particular unit.

The specs for this laptop should NOT have these kind of problems.

shp0590

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
There has to be a solution for this... maybe there's something wrong with the drivers or some setting I need to tinker with in nVidia control panel.

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
What exactly are you even asking? Are you looking for a fix for tearing? Because that's called Vsync. Of course you get tearing when you're exceeding the screen's native refresh rate. If you can't stand tearing, enable vsync and call it a day.

shp0590

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016

Man it's not just the screen tearing. Playing CS:GO also has very choppy gameplay and Everything feels like it's in slow motion despite having 100+ FPS. Vsync is not an option because that causes significant input lag which is terrible for any FPS game. A gaming laptop with these specs should be able to run these 2012 games smoothly with no tear, high FPS, and smooth gameplay but this is a joke

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
In the Nvidia control panel, go to Manage 3D settings and change the global "Power management mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance". If that doesn't help, try installing a performance monitor like MSI Afterburner, EVGA PrecisionX etc and watch what happens during gameplay to see if you can find the source of the issue. Look for things like fluctuating core clock on the GPU, low GPU utilization and high CPU utilization.

shp0590

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
So I started playing Left 4 Dead for the first time and the gameplay seems pretty smooth. The camera moves as it's supposed to with 100FPS and there is minimal screen tearing. It must be the games cS:GO and Portal 2 are poorly optimized....

Whatcorey

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
i have the exact same issue, except my gaming laptop is an
Asus ROGL752VW
16 gigs of ram
intel i7 processor with intel graphics card
Nvidia geforce gtx 960M 4gb vram
windows 10 home

any old game is unplayable, i get 1 second freeze lag every time i play any games. the games that are unplayable for me because of bad fps drops and lag is call of duty 1, call of duty united offensive, call of duty 2, oblivion, counter strike 1.6, counter strike source, counter strike condition zero, day of infamy, and day of defeat. I mostly play offline games like these, but in campaign and single player lags like crazy. Ive sent this laptop in 3 times to the repair shop because i am under warranty, but the problem never went away. I guess i just can't play old games anyomore. PS, all my drivers are updated.

shp0590

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
Honestly I don't know what's causing this issue. I think older games are not suitable or optimized well enough to run smoothly on these newer machines. It's just so disappointing to buy a brand new gaming laptop only to find out that the gameplay on 4 year old games is choppy and unresponsive.

Whatcorey

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

exactly, i spent almost 2000$ on this, and it cant even run my favorite games. They need to address this, and i found out im the only one having this problem on my rig, so i have to send it in a 4th time.