Screen worked after replacing then went dim

kellijonc

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
I have a new ASUS GL laptop that I spilled a few drops of liquid on the side of the screen. It caused damage to the left side (vertical lines up and down) - not enough to make the computer unusable, but enough to be annoying. I replaced the screen without a problem and it worked great for a few days. Then it started to flicker, then it went very dim (could very barely see the screen) on and off, and then it completely went so that it is now always on super dim (too dim to use). It works fine when hooked up to an external monitor.

I removed the new screen thinking it was a dud and reinstalled my old screen (expecting it to work but still have the left side damage). Unfortunately, that is not the case and the back light is not working on this one now either (completely dim). I have spent hours trying to trouble shoot. Any advice on next steps?

Solution
If it is doing this to any screen connected directly to the laptop, but not to an external monitor plugged in through a USB, it sounds like the Internal Cables that run from the motherboard to the screen may be damaged. If it were the graphics card then the other monitor wouldn't work either.
If it is doing this to any screen connected directly to the laptop, but not to an external monitor plugged in through a USB, it sounds like the Internal Cables that run from the motherboard to the screen may be damaged. If it were the graphics card then the other monitor wouldn't work either.

Solution