SD Card Access

PeterAlicante

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
After saving files to my SD card the files already saved there have switched to 'read-only'. How can I change the access rights?

Solution
That is what I meant. The files, when moved to the card, were altered by the app. It wouldn't surprise me since files on a card would be more vulnerable. Making them read only is logical actually. I have never heard of a card being able to make that change on its own. If the card was read only you wouldn't be able to put any files on it. And a SD card doesn't have the ability to change the files. So the only thing that could be doing it is the app involved or the phone's software.
Are they showing as read only on the phone or when you try to access them via a computer? (either while the card is still in the phone or taken out of). If you connect the phone to a computer via USB cord, you can do the following...

You can make that change by right clicking on the file name and then click "Properties". It is a tad more effort to do directly on a phone.

Also, if you are pulling out the SD card and inserting it in any other device, that can cause the files to change (depending on the device you put it in. This is why it is better to leave it in the phone all the time.

PeterAlicante

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

PeterAlicante

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
The SD card is in XPERIA Z2 tablet and always has been. The files in question were available for update but since I transferred other files from internal storage to the SD card they all show as read only, even the files originally available for update. If I connect the tablet to my laptop as suggested, "Properties" show the folders and files on the SD card as 'Read-only' NO. but the apps accessing them still insist they are read only! I am confused.

I see. Then the problem is not the files, but the apps and your having moved things is the cause. It must be a problem with the app(s) in question. Since I don't know what app(s) or file types, I can't answer at all on that, however you may have to move them back to the tablet itself to remove the problem, since the app(s) may not be able to alter them while they are on the SD card.

It may also be the update that was installed altered the app(s) changing the permissions. That happens a lot.

In such a case I would suggest contacting the creator of the app(s) and asking them if the move is why, if the update made the permissions change or if there is something else going on with it/them.

PeterAlicante

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

PeterAlicante

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

PeterAlicante

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
I don't think it is the Apps. File A (and B, c, etc) were created on the SD card and were accessible for update. My internal storage needed space so I accepted the invitation to transfer files from Internal to the SD card - these were actually photos I had taken. Once I had completed the transfer of photo data the files created on the SD card (File A, B, c etc) became 'read-only'. These files were always on the SD card, have never moved, but the access rights have changed following the transfer of other files from internal storage, I think it has done something to the SD card root directory making all SD card files read-only but I cant find a way of recovering the original access rights.

That is what I meant. The files, when moved to the card, were altered by the app. It wouldn't surprise me since files on a card would be more vulnerable. Making them read only is logical actually. I have never heard of a card being able to make that change on its own. If the card was read only you wouldn't be able to put any files on it. And a SD card doesn't have the ability to change the files. So the only thing that could be doing it is the app involved or the phone's software.

Solution