SD card files won't show up on gallery

MrVic87

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Hi,

I don't believe there is anything wrong with my SD card. I have 2 phones, each from different carriers. I decided to switch carriers and use the 2nd phone. When I switched carriers, I took my SD card and inserted it to the new phone and saw none of my 650 pictures that were on it for the gallery. I panicked thinking that I deleted them. But a week later, I inserted the SD card back on my original phone and all my pictures were there in its gallery. The newer phone, which isn't that new compared to the old one, just can't read the files that was produced from previous phone. Both are android phones.

Can anyone explain why this is happening when both are Android phones?

Solution
Did you make sure to set up the phone to actually search the card for photos to show in the gallery? It doesn't automatically do so just when you insert the card.

NOTE: Make sure, also, that the file type is something that each phone can read. Not all devices can read the same file types. Especially older devices or lower quality ones.

If by some chance it still won't show them after that, then I would suggest a transfer. Move the photos to say a computer (from the phone) by connecting the phone to the computer via USB cord and move all the files off the card into an empty folder on the computer. Then, once they are moved. Put the card in the new phone and make sure the phone recognizes the card. When this is set up, then connect the...
Did you make sure to set up the phone to actually search the card for photos to show in the gallery? It doesn't automatically do so just when you insert the card.

NOTE: Make sure, also, that the file type is something that each phone can read. Not all devices can read the same file types. Especially older devices or lower quality ones.

If by some chance it still won't show them after that, then I would suggest a transfer. Move the photos to say a computer (from the phone) by connecting the phone to the computer via USB cord and move all the files off the card into an empty folder on the computer. Then, once they are moved. Put the card in the new phone and make sure the phone recognizes the card. When this is set up, then connect the new phone to the computer, via USB cord, and move the files back over.

Yes, in both cases the files will still be on the card and not the phone, but it may be that the phone isn't reading the card.

Also, please note that if the card was made to be "Internal" storage on the original device, rather than the standard "External" storage, then the new device will never be able to read the data on it. It would have been encoded.

Solution