Seagate 1 TB External Hard Drive not being read properly by ASUS laptop.

RealLadyJo

Estimable
Aug 29, 2015
Dear All:

I hope you can help me. I have a Seagate 1TB external drive and I've had this for almost two years now and I've never had a problem with it.

Yesterday for the first time in a long time, I plugged it in to my Asus Laptop computer which is about the same age as the external hard drive. To my confusion, while the drive is being seen by the laptop, it's not being seen correctly. What do I mean? When I plug this external hd, I usually see an icon of the drive that is unique to that one (it's a black and green icon of a drive) and it says the name of the drive (JO'S HD 3). On my Acer laptop, it shows up just like that per usual. But on my Asus since yesterday, it does not! It simply shows up as G: Local Disk. When I click on it, it does recognize and list all the files that I have on it, but I'm bothered that it does read it as it usually does, with the proper icon and the name. Anyone know what's wrong? Is it my laptop? I've tried switching HD cables (I have another external HD from Seagate) and it's still the same with the ASUS. Since it's being read correctly by the ACER and the cable doesn't seem to be the problem.

I also tried my other drive on the asus and it's the same problem. The drive is being read but the proper icons and name is not appearing. It says F: Local Disk instead of F: JO'S HD 2 with the proper drive icon.I'm thinking it's either the USB port or the laptop itself. I know it's "minor" that the files are readable and all and I can actually save into it, but I want it back the way it was. And this is my personal laptop that it's happening to. The ACER is my office one. Which is why I want to really get to the bottom of it! Please help! Thanks!

Jo

Hi,

Quick solution for this is to just rename the drive again the way you want it to be by doing the following:

- on the drive you want to change the name right click on it then select Properties.
- once properties windows is open you'll see a General and under General you'll find a box where you can change the drive name.
- after you have changed the name click Apply then OK to close it, your drive name should be changed after doing so.

RealLadyJo

Estimable
Aug 29, 2015