Search for a Laptop

Trippin30

Commendable
Oct 10, 2016
Good morning everyone,

First and foremost, I apologize if this is in the wrong section/forum. I did a search and did not find the results I was looking for. I may have been searching in the wrong area, though, and for that I am sorry.

I am looking to buy my son a gaming laptop. He is about to graduate college (December) and has been wanting a gaming laptop for a long time now. I have a budget of about $1000 (give or take $200). However, I have no idea what I am searching for. He plays a variety of games and I believe (assume) they're typically the latest and greatest. He does own a PC but he would like something mobile.

I was hoping to run into someone who monitors gaming laptop deals and could point me in the right direction.

Lastly, I appreciate any help or advice!

Thanks!

Solution
For $1000 you are looking at asus and msi from the branded laptops. If you want asus, then look at their g series. They do have a gl series which are thinner and more portable but tends to be weaker in terms of gpu power. Then msi have their gt range which is their desktop replacement range. for portability, they have the apache or ge range.

Then there are the non branded laptops that use the clevo barebones. These are more configurable but there are less reviews.
Oct 9, 2016
When you are looking for a gaming laptop there are a few things to look for.
1. Graphics
Many gaming laptops will have a graphics chip (the hardware that things on the screen) that is a GTX 950m, GTX 960m, GTX 970m, or GTX 980m
The higher the number the more powerful (and expensive) the computer
2. CPU
The CPU is tha part of the computer that procceses all of the software on the computer
You want to look for one that is either a Intel I-5 or Intel I-7 (I-7 is better)
3. Storage
The storage on the laptop is more of a personal preference than a nececcesety. It denotes how much software you can store on your computer at a time. They range from 500gb and up
4. Battery life
Not much to say about this one but that more is better

Happy Hunting,

TheGloriousJosephStalin

Trippin30

Commendable
Oct 10, 2016
Thanks for the reply! I will try to apply that advice to my search. Any recommendation for a website to use? Amazon? Newegg?

Also-- any brand-name I should stay away from?

Thanks!

Tank36

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014

That computer my friend is a beast. It has the latest generation of a Graphics card in it, with an I-7 processor, which is the best on the market. I cannot say what I think of the brand though as I have never heard of it, but that doesn't mean its bad, Im just not up to date! Ill do some research on it right now!

Oct 9, 2016

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one. While Alienware is a respectable brand this particular model is rather dated (with only an 965m) and for the price is not a good value. A laptop like the one Trippin30 recommended gives you much more bang for your buck with Nvidias new 10 series graphics chipsets

For $1000 you are looking at asus and msi from the branded laptops. If you want asus, then look at their g series. They do have a gl series which are thinner and more portable but tends to be weaker in terms of gpu power. Then msi have their gt range which is their desktop replacement range. for portability, they have the apache or ge range.

Then there are the non branded laptops that use the clevo barebones. These are more configurable but there are less reviews.

Solution