Second screen not detected Win8.1 Acer laptop

Doddsy

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015
I have a laptop with HDMI input and a new monitor with VGA output. I've bought the conversion cable and connected it - but nothing is happening. I've read some posts about video cards and having the right ones, but I know nothing about this sort of thing. Screen is a Samsung 22in. It's frustrating. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Sam

detain1000

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Did you make sure that the conversion cable was an ACTIVE HDMI to VGA adapter? HDMI is an all digital signal, while VGA is an all analog signal; this means that in order to convert from one to the other, you need to have an active converter that is converting the digital output of your laptop to the analog input of your monitor.

Doddsy

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015

I don't know what this means. I'm really not techy - can you explain in laymans terms? It is entirely possible I bought the wrong cable - how do I check?? Thanks.

detain1000

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

No worries; so does your cable have a kind of large boxy section, or require USB power? These are usually dead give away as to being active adapters, but don't always tell the while story. If not, you may want to check the original packaging for the cable to see if it says anywhere that it is an active adapter. If you determine that it us an active adapter and doesn't work, you may be looking at an incompatible or damaged cable; however, if you determine that it is not an active adapter, then you will need to purchase one instead, something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4BU1VR6844&cm_re=active_hdmi_to_vga-_-9SIA4BU1VR6844-_-Product

Doddsy

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015

Hello, sorry for the delay in replying have not been by my computer till now - this is the cable I bought: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003JZR72C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
Does this help any with knowing if it's the right one?!

Doddsy

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015

This looks amazing and if it works, I will be forever indebted to you - thank you. I am going to search for a longer cable one though as there's a fair bit of space between the laptop and the monitor. Thanks again - will report back once I have it and have tested it.

detain1000

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

As for a longer cable, that adapter is actually a male to female adapter, so you can just plug in a normal VGA cable to the other end and itll be fine, and I hope to hear good news soon!

sora

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

This should definitely work.