Securing a Workstation

aesthetics00

Estimable
Oct 4, 2014
How do you secure a workstation

We all knew that enabling the Guest account in Windows Machine is not a good practice when it comes to security.

If I have a Administrator account (with password) and a User account(which I always use - with password)

How can I let someone use my Computer. eg. stranger, friend of friend..

How do you secure it? should I enable the Guest account? is there any solutions?

where i used to work at emc they had windows lock down.. when you logged into the desk top it was a vr desktop with only set user rights. you could get on the net if needed but you could not save or download to the vr desktop. you could also not see anyone other users info or use windows admin password. in real world if someone wanted to get into your pc they can just reset the admin password from a boot tool.

aesthetics00

Estimable
Oct 4, 2014

but you can protect the BIOS via putting a password into it. most BIOS nowaday is replace by UEFI which is harder to reset. removign the CMOS battery doesn't do the job anymore.

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
for what reasons would you let someone else (a stranger) use your workstation? if you're very nervous, i would simply make the OS drive removable, and have it in your pocket as YOUR OS. and maybe install a Linux OS onto a different removable (swappable) drive or even onto a USB and let those other people use THAT instead.

aesthetics00

Estimable
Oct 4, 2014

like this :

annoying kids who will use my computer or I'm out of town and someone wants to use my computer.
maybe they will ruin my file or install some annoying programs or they will explore some files that are prohibited especially unencrypted documents.